SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Quote: I've noticed that while you offer a few suits in size 34, your 'size charts' don't show the measurements for these as they do for other sizes. Any possibility of adding these?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

2. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

They are there. We do not have the Model 2 in size 34, however the remaining Model 1 34 is available on line. Click the suits tab on the size chart and scroll down a bit.

3. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I have no doubt that Spier and Mackay will get better as time goes on. He listens to his customer's feedback and acts on it.

Iv'e had nothing but great experiences with Rick. Even when something went wrong it was always fixed.

4. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

5. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

According to the size chart for the size 34 slim fit, the actual waist size for the trousers is 29.5. Do you know approximately how much these could be let out by a tailor?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Ac

6. spiermackay

About 1 3/4".

BR,
    Rick

7. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

8. spiermackay

You're very welcome. [​IMG]

9. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

I'd describe it as medium-light. The fabric is light and the weave allows for some air circulation but the front is lined (it is a half lined jacket). I have a strong preference for my true summer coats to be unlined (except in the shoulders and sleeves) and the few that I have, even wool and wool/silk/linen blends wear much cooler that lined jackets (including all linen ones). You could also find fabric with more open weave but it might look a bit more causal and "shapeless". I think this jacket offers a good balance and only in the true summertime I'd opt out for something lighter.

10. spiermackay

We actually have the some of the hopsack left in stock which we can do MTM ($550) and MTO ($450) jackets, unlined if required as well.

11. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

I admit, I didn't realize the pricing between the options were that close to one another.

I want to do MTM but I'm intending on going back to the gym (for weightlifting) once I no longer need physiotherapy for my back. I'm concerned that any body change will affect the fit, and if that's the case I might as well save some money by getting the OTR shirts + sleeve alterations.

I should have explained my reasoning earlier. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  12. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

I was just showing the comparison because I did it myself yesterday.

I might have some shirts made MTM in the 15 Slim size, with proper sleeve length. Just so I can pick the fabric, collar, thread, details and add MOP's if desired. Its like 6-7$ a shirt cloth for cloth (after factoring in a sleeve alteration on OTR).

What I like about the 15 Slim OTR size is I can throw it in the dryer where as I cannot with my MTM shirts. After a couple washes/drys it comes out pretty close to my MTM fitting with a bit more room. Which I am liking lately... Will probably grab a bundle of madras OTR shirts and just roll up the sleeves for summer, usually end up doing this anyways when its 30 outside. I also thought about grabbing the blue linen and making it into a short sleeve.

13. mattdalton

mattdalton Member

Has shrinkage from the dryer heat been pretty much limited to sleeves and length, with the collar size not getting noticeably smaller?

I am curious about this because I am contemplating ordering an OTR shirt, which has a sleeve length longer than what I need, sending it through the washer/dryer two or three times, then getting the sleeves tailored as needed. Assuming a relatively consistent amount of shrinkage across shirts, I could use amount of sleeve shrinkage plus the amount the tailor had to shorten to calculate the specific length of sleeve to order in the future. Being able to put the shirt through the dryer also takes away any worry of someone else in the family doing laundry and forgetting to keep my dress shirts out of warm wash or the dryer. (Yeah, I know...too practical.)

I don't have any Spier & Mackay shirts yet (only a jacket and trousers so far) but like what they do and will order shirts when I need more. I have done the "buy the sleeves a little long and shrink to fit" with other brands of shirts in the past successfully, but don't want to assume it will be the same with Spier & Mackay. Asking for issues, or worth a try?

Thanks in advance for any insight you have on this.

14. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

In my experience (just washing and air drying) - yes, I've had largely isolated sleeve shrinkage on 3 shirts from 15.5x34.5 to 15.5x33.5ish

And I wanted to follow up Rick's response to our conversation about fabrics yesterday - I'm confident that as the brand grows you'll be able to provide a wider range of fabrics. Your selection this season is vastly superior IMO to the patterns you first released for sportcoats last fall.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  15. pharmd

pharmd Member

Comparing my SS Lazio Purple Line and Spier and Mackay...

The quality is 100% up to par on the Spier and Mackay when comparing. So much so, I placed an order for another Spier and Mackay!