• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how the new OTR's are sewn up with complimenting coloured thread. Nice touch for these fabrics.

And is that Navy Hopsack really sold out in 38? Anymore coming? Damn that was fast

Last edited:

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went in a week ago and the slim fit's sleeves were a big long for a short guy like myself. I may have to buy a few shirts out of necessity soon and get the sleeves shortened - I currently cannot justify getting the MTM shirts - but if this includes shorter sleeve lengths, then this is great to hear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiermackay

Most shirts labeled sleeve length actually measure 1/2" - 1" longer than stated. So a labeled 35, can measure as long as 36". So our 34.5" would be short. Thanks for the feedback! We are looking to start rolling our multiple sleeves by fall. So longer options are coming.

Last edited:

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Take this into consideration before you think MTM isn't justifiable...

Bundle pricing for MTM @ 79$ basic fabrics for 3 shirts = $177

Bundle pricing for same "basic" fabrics OTR shirts - $120 + ($40 tailors bill, 3 shirts $12/EA to shorten sleeves) = $160

I'm in the same boat. OTR sleeves are 2" too long. Rest of the shirt is pretty good.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my navy hopsack today for the first time (got it yesterday). Material was a little disappointing out of the box as I was hoping for more physical texture to the hopsack (see the hopsack BB I have listed for sale) and the material is rather flat physically but visually textured. It is maybe a half inch shorter than I prefer but the length of my 40R is identical to the SuitSupply Havana 40R so it's in-line with contemporary styling. Looked kind of off on me yesterday but I broke it in at home and then wore it to work today and really liked how it settled in as the wrinkles from shipping fell out and the half canvas started to break in. The buttons are nice and the color is year-round friendly without being deep navy. Overall I can see this working out to be my staple, main navy blazer as it's very professional, obviating the need for something like the worsted navy model 2 blazer also available for purchase. The best part, for me, have to be the sleeves and back. I believe Spier & Mackay adjusted the way the sleeves are set for the Model 2 and even with my forward sloping shoulders the sleeve/sleevehead looks totally normal and doesn't look like it's getting pulled. Similarly for an OTR purchase the back is surprisingly clean. I don't have photos to show right now but I'll try to take some when I wear it next week. One minor minor issue which probably won't be much of a concern for anybody else is that I wish there were less lining (or more linen - but this would probably keep it from being a work staple), so there are always tradeoffs! Walking around on a sunny low-80s morning today I felt pretty warm to be honest. But I also run a bit warm and there was no wind/it's Texas so it's always pretty hot.

Edit: The fabric has grown on me - I don't hate it, I just realize I was probably expecting a $500-600 fabric at a $280USD price. Honestly for the price this is a wonderful jacket. Highly recommend people buy before it sells out.

Also, Rick I can delete this if you want but for you shorter-armed folk, I have a pair of staple (solid light blue, navy/white stripe) NWT Spier & Mackay shirts in 15.5 contemporary fit and a pair of shrunken to 15.5x33.5 staples (garrison dress chambray, white/blue stripe) that I'm thinking of listing for sale but I'll mention here. Would sell the new ones at bundle pricing and the shrunken ones for less as I'm trying to recoup some of my expenses in anticipation of longer OTR sleeve options or MTO. If you're interested send me a PM. My monkey arms aren't getting along with the OTR length, which isn't S&M's fault, but I don't want these shirts - especailly the NWT ones - to sit around unworn.

Last edited:

linds_15

Reaction score
wearing my navy hopsack for the second time today and it really is a great jacket. losrockets described it very well above

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wore my navy hopsack today for the first time (got it yesterday). Material was a little disappointing out of the box as I was hoping for more physical texture to the hopsack (see the hopsack BB I have listed for sale) and the material is rather flat physically but visually textured. It is maybe a half inch shorter than I prefer but the length of my 40R is identical to the SuitSupply Havana 40R so it's in-line with contemporary styling. Looked kind of off on me yesterday but I broke it in at home and then wore it to work today and really liked how it settled in as the wrinkles from shipping fell out and the half canvas started to break in. The buttons are nice and the color is year-round friendly without being deep navy. Overall I can see this working out to be my staple, main navy blazer as it's very professional, obviating the need for something like the worsted navy model 2 blazer also available for purchase. The best part, for me, have to be the sleeves and back. I believe Spier & Mackay adjusted the way the sleeves are set for the Model 2 and even with my forward sloping shoulders the sleeve/sleevehead looks totally normal and doesn't look like it's getting pulled. Similarly for an OTR purchase the back is surprisingly clean. I don't have photos to show right now but I'll try to take some when I wear it next week. One minor minor issue which probably won't be much of a concern for anybody else is that I wish there were less lining (or more linen - but this would probably keep it from being a work staple), so there are always tradeoffs! Walking around on a sunny low-80s morning today I felt pretty warm to be honest. But I also run a bit warm and there was no wind/it's Texas so it's always pretty hot.

Also, Rick I can delete this if you want but for you shorter-armed folk, I have a pair of staple (solid light blue, navy/white stripe) NWT Spier & Mackay shirts in 15.5 contemporary fit and a pair of shrunken to 15.5x33.5 staples (garrison dress chambray, white/blue stripe) that I'm thinking of listing for sale but I'll mention here. Would sell the new ones at bundle pricing and the shrunken ones for less as I'm trying to recoup some of my expenses in anticipation of longer OTR sleeve options or MTO. If you're interested send me a PM. My monkey arms aren't getting along with the OTR length, which isn't S&M's fault, but I don't want these shirts - especailly the NWT ones - to sit around unworn.

Thanks for the honest review! Remember, the jacket is 73% Wool, so naturally it will wear more like wool in 80 degree weather. Noted on the lining. Will take that idea forward. Keep in mind the lining is 100% bemberg and very breathable. The alternative would be to omit the lining and use self facing on the interior. Which we are thinking of doing with some of the FW sportcoats.

I think the fabric will grow on you. It's a pretty burly hopsack. I know the exact texture you are speaking of and we do have a source on it for a regular, staple in the future.

The shoulders sit the way they do because of the back leaning shoulder seam. It a nice little tailor trick that allows the fabric to drape better off the back shoulder.

Thanks for sharing.
Rick

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll add my two cents to the guys above. It's my first day wearing the hopsack and so far so good. The fabric is ok, not great (that's been my experience with S&M in general). Texture is a bit flat, as described by losrockets but the fabric is soft. I am worried about piling/fuzzing as I see a few areas developing a bit of said fuzz (already), the fabric also seems really "grabby" and collects a lot of lint, stay hairs, etc. Better have a roller nearby!

On the plus side, the cut is terrific. Fits me better that SS Havana in the same size (38R). The jacket has a very nice silhouette, soft shoulders (light padding). Half canvas feels great, very supple.

I had to reinforce the main two buttons, they weren't well finished.

I'll keep coming back, especially if the fabrics get nicer. SS has definitely an edge here (unless one goes MTM with S&M, of course).

Overall, good but not great value.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'll add my two cents to the guys above. It's my first day wearing the hopsack and so far so good. The fabric is ok, not great (that's been my experience with S&M in general). Texture is a bit flat, as described by losrockets but the fabric is soft. I am worried about piling/fuzzing as I see a few areas developing a bit of said fuzz (already), the fabric also seems really "grabby" and collects a lot of lint, stay hairs, etc. Better have a roller nearby!

On the plus side, the cut is terrific. Fits me better that SS Havana in the same size (38R). The jacket has a very nice silhouette, soft shoulders (light padding). Half canvas feels great, very supple.

I had to reinforce the main two buttons, they weren't well finished.

I'll keep coming back, especially if the fabrics get nicer. SS has definitely an edge here (unless one goes MTM with S&M, of course).

Overall, good but not great value.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll inform the QC team about reinforcing the buttons. But we have not had any complaints on the buttoning. But it never hurts to have them double and triple check.

In your opinion what would make these a great value? Any feedback is helpful. Great value is what we strive for.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

space4lyfe

Reaction score
I may just be completely missing it, but where is the custom suit page on the website? Can only find the shirt one.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I may just be completely missing it, but where is the custom suit page on the website? Can only find the shirt one.

Custom suits are only in store at the moment. Working on a new website as well that will give more basic info about the custom suit program. If you have any questions regarding the program you can PM directly or email Customer service at [email protected]

Regards,
Rick

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. I'll inform the QC team about reinforcing the buttons. But we have not had any complaints on the buttoning. But it never hurts to have them double and triple check.

In your opinion what would make these a great value? Any feedback is helpful. Great value is what we strive for.

Cheers,
Rick

Rick, I think it comes down to fabrics. I still prefer SS in terms of both quality and choice. Your cut is superior to theirs, at least as far as my posture and size are concerned, so getting better fabric options would be a tremendous boon for me. (Same goes for trousers).

I now own three jackets, three pairs of pants and six or seven shirts so I am definitely a content customer, but there's always room to improve :)

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Rick, I think it comes down to fabrics. I still prefer SS in terms of both quality and choice. Your cut is superior to theirs, at least as far as my posture and size are concerned, so getting better fabric options would be a tremendous boon for me. (Same goes for trousers).

I now own three jackets, three pairs of pants and six or seven shirts so I am definitely a content customer, but there's always room to improve
smile.gif

Perfect. Always room to improve. Agreed.

SS started in 2000. We only introduced OTR suits last March. they have a 14 year jump on us. As we grow we can reach out and offer a better range of sizes and more depth of cloth offerings.

As always, thanks for the honest feedback! It's the only way we can find out what works and what needs improvement.

BR,
Rick

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Wore my navy hopsack today for the first time (got it yesterday). ...

wearing my navy hopsack for the second time today and it really is a great jacket. losrockets described it very well above

I'll add my two cents to the guys above. It's my first day wearing the hopsack and so far so good...

If anyone has time to post some pics, I would appreciate it.

Linds and Ebichauman, do either of you find it warm?

I already have a navy blazer that's in a pretty lightweight wool, so if I buy another navy I will want it to be very light for HOT days. I assume Rick could have one custom made, unlined, if it is too warm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics