• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spied in Siena- "M" version of BMW's 1 series (pic)

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
The engine is already perfect. They should concentrate on making a minimalist sports car - cut all the weight and junk out, and tune up the suspension. Would be perfect.

There's that Mini-platform based BMW concept underway.

BankerBoi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spencers
Are you totally sure someone didn't just slap an ///M badge on a 1er?

PS- The current 135er has a straight six. Not a V. (In fact, all 1er/3er's have had straight sixes [or fours])

Have had and continue to have, except for the e92 ///M3.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
There's that Mini-platform based BMW concept underway.

not RWD = no care.

Of course if they throw the engine in the back and make it RWD, that's a whole different story.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't doubt the possibility of an M-series 1-series coming out, but the pictured car is likely a 120i (or 120d) with a factory M-Sport aero kit on some Chinese or Eastern European-made M6 replica wheels, and a generic M badge, which is probably not even a genuine BMW part either.

turboman808

Reaction score
really looks like someone threw a M badge on a car and rather badly.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks fake to me, too. The twin-turbo I6s actually aren't all that bulletproof: in the 335 and 135 applications, they've often shut down on the track due to overheating. There are some aftermarket coolers and software mods that supposedly solve this problem.

It will be interesting to see how the new turbocharged BMW engines fare (eg. X6M), because BMWs already run hot by design, and a powerful turbocharged engine isn't going to help matters much.

--Andre

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The 1 is ugly, anyway. If they clean up the side profile and fix the headlights, I'll be much happier.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
I'm probably just about to reveal my car-related ignorance, but what would prevent any idiot from sticking an 'M' badge onto a regular 1-series? Many European BMW drivers are the sort of people who would consider doing that.

You could just shave the numbers off the trunk and stick on the ///M Badge. Unfortunately, the people who care about such things would immediately label you as a poser. The people who do not care would not notice. If you don't have the engine, don't bother with the badge...

spencers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
That's definitely a fake 'M'. Lack of quad exhaust is a dead give-away. ///M Badge is crooked and the fender flares aren't wide enough nor are the tires.
I believe the discussion refers to the "future ///M 1-series." The mere fact that it doesn't exist provides nothing to base it off of. It's speculation.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Never driven an M3, have you?

Definitely not a 4-door
facepalm.gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that would be a tough sell without any extra power. especially in America, unless they are going for some kind of race-ready-from-the-dealer version (like the E36 M3 LTW) that's more meant to increase BMW's profile on the track, rather than be a consumer sales success.

btw, i was one of those who voted for the 135i over the M3 with my wallet. no question the M3 is a better car, but the margin doesn't justify the price difference imho. i thought i couldn't settle for anything less than an M3 for sure, but i was (and still am) pleasantly satisfied with the 1.

i drove both cars back-to-back over the better part of a full weekend.

superfans124

Reaction score
cut 500 lbs off and it'd be golden, horse power is as meaningful as statistics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads