• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spicy food

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that the older I get, the more I appreciate hot and spicy food. Never used to care that much, but now I love hot sauce and chilies and all that. I also don't like ***** buttery stuff as much as I used to (pasta in heavy cream sauce, etc) and more foods appear too sweet to me now (obviously mostly desserts and starbucks stuff)

Anybody else go through this? How did you taste change other than getting more sophisticated/picky with age?

Reaction score
I like spicy foods more with each passing day. But I just think that's how spice-love works.
My palate has changed a lot, but I think that just comes from exposure to a wide variety of foods.
I, of course, don't like many of the sugary things that I liked when I was younger.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slight difference for me, but also reflecting a bit of an evolution. In my younger days, heat was for heat's sake. Now, spice for me needs to be about enhancing / balancing flavours.

I've also reduced my consumption of heavy, creamy food....with the exception of butter-poached-anything.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of buttery/creamy/sweet food, and even more so now. On the other hand, I eat more and more spicy stuff as I grow older. The #1 used condiment at my house is the giant Sriracha bottle that's always stocked in the fridge. Lately, I've been nibbling at Thai chiles whenever they come with a meal. My gf doesn't like this because she likes baking; and whenever she bakes a batch of cookie, I usually have one or two at the most.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I've never been a fan of buttery/creamy/sweet food, and even more so now. On the other hand, I eat more and more spicy stuff as I grow older. The #1 used condiment at my house is the giant Sriracha bottle that's always stocked in the fridge. Lately, I've been nibbling at Thai chiles whenever they come with a meal. My gf doesn't like this because she likes baking; and whenever she bakes a batch of cookie, I usually have one or two at the most.

+ 1 on the Sriracha. I blow through the stuff.

huy

Reaction score
I really like spicy food, now more than when I was younger. And food seems to be getting sweeter too. I remember going to Cold Stones not too long ago and it was so much sweeter than I remembered. I didn't finish it.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the same way. I used to never eat spicy food whatsoever. Now, I appreciate a little heat with almost any dish I eat. The only gripe I have with spicy food is the fact that it is still spicy on the way out...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I'm the same way. I used to never eat spicy food whatsoever. Now, I appreciate a little heat with almost any dish I eat. The only gripe I have with spicy food is the fact that it is still spicy on the way out...

Don't taste it then, on the way out.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love spicy food, and I find that the few times I eat something sweet (dessertish) I always wonder what it would be like to put in a little cayenne, dried chiles, ground habanero, etc. into the cookie, chocolate cake, ice cream. One of my favourite things to make is a caramel sauce using chiles. This kind of thing works especially well with chocolate.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
I love spicy food, and I find that the few times I eat something sweet (dessertish) I always wonder what it would be like to put in a little cayenne, dried chiles, ground habanero, etc. into the cookie, chocolate cake, ice cream. One of my favourite things to make is a caramel sauce using chiles. This kind of thing works especially well with chocolate.
Hmm very interesting. I know some high end chocolatiers make spicy truffles and such. I had a very interesting cocktail last night with some candied spicy ginger.. it was tasty.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always loved it, although my tolerance has begun to wane (especially on the back end, as was previously stated).

+1 on the sriracha... here are some of my other favorites, in no particular order:

Sauces.. Tobasco is the KING and I also like Cholula and Frank's is the base for my wing sauce

Wings:
My own
Cluck-U-Chicken Thermo-Nuclear sauce (in my younger days I did Global TN... no more)
Rasta Wings (Union Street Cafe - Detroit, MI)
Gunslingers (Chucker Chubb's in Reading, PA)
XXX + honey (Amici's in Athens, GA)

Asian:
Chef Tony's House Special Dry Chili Chicken (Lao Sze Chuan in Chicago, IL Chinatown)
Yookwe Jaeng (New Seoul Garden in Southfield, MI)
Sala Thai (Detroit, MI) - their Hot will kick your ass... extra hot and on fire have knocked over some visitors from India

Other:
Hot Chicken - (Prince's Hot Chicken Shack in Nashville, TN) If you don't know, you better ask somebody!
Chili, Jerk Chicken, and Jambalaya- my own
Zapp's Cajun Craw-taters

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the older i get, the less my anus appreciates it. can't handle it well anymore.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love spicy food. I put hot sauce in nearly anything savoury. I find it just makes dishes just that much more interesting.

I, too, do not have much of a preference for sweets. A lot of things are too sweet, I find (e.g. oreos).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads