• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Spicy food

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that the older I get, the more I appreciate hot and spicy food. Never used to care that much, but now I love hot sauce and chilies and all that. I also don't like fatty buttery stuff as much as I used to (pasta in heavy cream sauce, etc) and more foods appear too sweet to me now (obviously mostly desserts and starbucks stuff)

Anybody else go through this? How did you taste change other than getting more sophisticated/picky with age?

Reaction score
I like spicy foods more with each passing day. But I just think that's how spice-love works.
My palate has changed a lot, but I think that just comes from exposure to a wide variety of foods.
I, of course, don't like many of the sugary things that I liked when I was younger.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slight difference for me, but also reflecting a bit of an evolution. In my younger days, heat was for heat's sake. Now, spice for me needs to be about enhancing / balancing flavours.

I've also reduced my consumption of heavy, creamy food....with the exception of butter-poached-anything.

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of buttery/creamy/sweet food, and even more so now. On the other hand, I eat more and more spicy stuff as I grow older. The #1 used condiment at my house is the giant Sriracha bottle that's always stocked in the fridge. Lately, I've been nibbling at Thai chiles whenever they come with a meal. My gf doesn't like this because she likes baking; and whenever she bakes a batch of cookie, I usually have one or two at the most.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I've never been a fan of buttery/creamy/sweet food, and even more so now. On the other hand, I eat more and more spicy stuff as I grow older. The #1 used condiment at my house is the giant Sriracha bottle that's always stocked in the fridge. Lately, I've been nibbling at Thai chiles whenever they come with a meal. My gf doesn't like this because she likes baking; and whenever she bakes a batch of cookie, I usually have one or two at the most.

+ 1 on the Sriracha. I blow through the stuff.

huy

Reaction score
I really like spicy food, now more than when I was younger. And food seems to be getting sweeter too. I remember going to Cold Stones not too long ago and it was so much sweeter than I remembered. I didn't finish it.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the same way. I used to never eat spicy food whatsoever. Now, I appreciate a little heat with almost any dish I eat. The only gripe I have with spicy food is the fact that it is still spicy on the way out...

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I'm the same way. I used to never eat spicy food whatsoever. Now, I appreciate a little heat with almost any dish I eat. The only gripe I have with spicy food is the fact that it is still spicy on the way out...

Don't taste it then, on the way out.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love spicy food, and I find that the few times I eat something sweet (dessertish) I always wonder what it would be like to put in a little cayenne, dried chiles, ground habanero, etc. into the cookie, chocolate cake, ice cream. One of my favourite things to make is a caramel sauce using chiles. This kind of thing works especially well with chocolate.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
I love spicy food, and I find that the few times I eat something sweet (dessertish) I always wonder what it would be like to put in a little cayenne, dried chiles, ground habanero, etc. into the cookie, chocolate cake, ice cream. One of my favourite things to make is a caramel sauce using chiles. This kind of thing works especially well with chocolate.
Hmm very interesting. I know some high end chocolatiers make spicy truffles and such. I had a very interesting cocktail last night with some candied spicy ginger.. it was tasty.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always loved it, although my tolerance has begun to wane (especially on the back end, as was previously stated).

+1 on the sriracha... here are some of my other favorites, in no particular order:

Sauces.. Tobasco is the KING and I also like Cholula and Frank's is the base for my wing sauce

Wings:
My own
Cluck-U-Chicken Thermo-Nuclear sauce (in my younger days I did Global TN... no more)
Rasta Wings (Union Street Cafe - Detroit, MI)
Gunslingers (Chucker Chubb's in Reading, PA)
XXX + honey (Amici's in Athens, GA)

Asian:
Chef Tony's House Special Dry Chili Chicken (Lao Sze Chuan in Chicago, IL Chinatown)
Yookwe Jaeng (New Seoul Garden in Southfield, MI)
Sala Thai (Detroit, MI) - their Hot will kick your ass... extra hot and on fire have knocked over some visitors from India

Other:
Hot Chicken - (Prince's Hot Chicken Shack in Nashville, TN) If you don't know, you better ask somebody!
Chili, Jerk Chicken, and Jambalaya- my own
Zapp's Cajun Craw-taters

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the older i get, the less my anus appreciates it. can't handle it well anymore.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love spicy food. I put hot sauce in nearly anything savoury. I find it just makes dishes just that much more interesting.

I, too, do not have much of a preference for sweets. A lot of things are too sweet, I find (e.g. oreos).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40