SPF For The Face

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by DocHunter, Apr 4, 2010.

1. innerstyle

innerstyle Senior member

I urge anyone in the US to try this:

[​IMG]

It blocks UVA rays, the ones that cause wrinkles. Helioplex is one of the few options available in the US for blocking UVAs. Sunscreens rarely feel as light as moisturizers, but this one comes closer than any I have tried before, and doesn't leave a white film. I use the SPF 45 version.

They have some water/sweat proof version of this line which I have purchased, but not yet used.

I have the SPF70 version of this and it definitely leaves a whitecast so I definitely won't use it on my face again. I'll try the SPF45 version though if you say it's better with that.

About the Shiseido Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 and the Sofina Perfect UV Lucent SPF 50+, I believe both have a rather low PPD rating (UVA protection) of around 8? Given how expensive they are, I can't justify spending that much on them given their PPD. It seems like for high PPD sunscreens which you can apply on your face, you need to stick with the European sunscreens.

2. scugger

scugger Senior member

You wouldn't happen to have tried the Neutrogena above? I'm guessing it's about $10 vs. $40 for Shiseido.
    I have tried the Neutrogena above. It blocks the sun fine, but it leaves me pretty greasy and breaks me out. I would def try the Neutrogena. If it doesn't make you a greaseball or break you out, you'll def save a lot of cash. Use the cheapest one you can get away with.

3. youdee

youdee Well-Known Member

I have the SPF70 version of this and it definitely leaves a whitecast so I definitely won't use it on my face again. I'll try the SPF45 version though if you say it's better with that.

About the Shiseido Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 and the Sofina Perfect UV Lucent SPF 50+, I believe both have a rather low PPD rating (UVA protection) of around 8? Given how expensive they are, I can't justify spending that much on them given their PPD. It seems like for high PPD sunscreens which you can apply on your face, you need to stick with the European sunscreens.

A PPD of 8 is fine for incidental sun exposure for most people, using a higher PPD sunscreen is usually reserved for people who are outside a lot, are serious about anti ageing, have photosensitive skin or live in a tropical climate. You're right to think that only Europe has very high protection sunscreen. Shiseido has recently reformulated its Sun Lotion with a higher PPD (10).

4. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

Youdee

What do you make of

L'Oreal Solar Expert Matte Fluid SPF50?

I've found this works well for me, no white cast, keeps matte, has stopped me burning when out in the sun a lot, and is cheap!

PPD re UVA is important to me - do you know what PPD this is please?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LOreal-Solar...1&sr=8-1-fkmr0

5. JATPrototype

JATPrototype Member

Murad promegranate SPF 40

6. youdee

youdee Well-Known Member

Youdee

What do you make of

I've found this works well for me, no white cast, keeps matte, has stopped me burning when out in the sun a lot, and is cheap!

PPD re UVA is important to me - do you know what PPD this is please?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LOreal-Solar...1&sr=8-1-fkmr0

That's the one I use, it's great! It has a PPD of at least 20, very high protection.

7. kan831019

kan831019 New Member

I use Olay Complete for Sensitive Skin. It is the recommended SPF of acne.org, which you might also take a look at if you're having trouble with acne.

8. innerstyle

innerstyle Senior member

That's the one I use, it's great! It has a PPD of at least 20, very high protection.
    Would you happen to know of any UK online stores who could ship that to the USA? It would be great to buy an affordable high PPD sunscreen like that as LRP Anthelios is really expensive, I'd use a product like this one more since it doesn't cost that much.

9. scugger

scugger Senior member

I may have to try this one too. Has this broken anyone out with acne-prone oily azz skin?

10. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

I may have to try this one too. Has this broken anyone out with acne-prone oily azz skin?

I used it twice a day from May to September last year. I have quite oily skin, and it caused no break outs etc. It is good at mattifying for me too.

11. jonny4

jonny4 Member

I been using the Shiseido Very High Sun Protection SPF50 for almost a week now and it's one of the better ones I have tried. Definitely a step up in terms of quality and finish compared to the drug store sunscreens I have used.

12. Adam_Lee

Adam_Lee Senior member

I didn't read the whole thread, have you tried the sunscreens that come in a stick (sometimes marketed for babies)? I use those for the face and the Neutrogena dry-touch for the body. In the deep summer I spend about 9-10 hours outside and they seem to do pretty well.

13. youdee

youdee Well-Known Member

Just writing to say any Americans still looking for a nice, lightweight yet high protection sunscreen for the face (that's easily available) definately need to check out the latest sunscreen from Neutrogena. It's a very runny, liquid sunscreen - not greasy or heavy in the slightest.

I wrote a full review here.

14. skyman

skyman Senior member

I use Clinique M lotion SPF 21 with the scruffing lotion as a precursour to this. Works quite well for me. But some people don't like this combo. Not sure what others have found.

15. yayorc

yayorc Senior member

I like the Neutrogena facial moisturizer with SPF 15 and no alpha hydroxy.

Best used after washing the face with cetaphil.