• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SPF For The Face

DocHunter

Reaction score
I work outside and I halways have trouble finding sun block that I can put on my face. Everything I find is way too thick and oily and ends up giving me acne.

I used a tube a Keihls for a while that was 15 SPF, but that's like wearing nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions for a light sunblock that won't e oily and will give me more than 15 SPF?

Thanks for the help.

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
I work outside and I halways have trouble finding sun block that I can put on my face. Everything I find is way too thick and oily and ends up giving me acne.

I used a tube a Keihls for a while that was 15 SPF, but that's like wearing nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions for a light sunblock that won't e oily and will give me more than 15 SPF?

Thanks for the help.

Shiseido Sun Protection Lotion SPF 50+. It's a very light suncreen with a runny milk-like texture. It also keeps your skin perfectly matte for the entire day. Just make sure you manage to wash it off completely at night as it's sweatproof.

boo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youdee
Shiseido Sun Protection Lotion SPF 50+. It's a very light suncreen with a runny milk-like texture. It also keeps your skin perfectly matte for the entire day. Just make sure you manage to wash it off completely at night as it's sweatproof.

Nice blog. Not knowing anything about sunblock, I recently bought the Menscience SPF30 based on the relatively light and non-greasy finish. Looks like it wasn't the best decision, but I'm glad I found out before summer.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I find Coppertone Sport to be the best for the face.

Unlike others I've tried, it doesn't run and sting my eyes and is available in 30, 50, 70 or 90 SPF.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
Nice blog. Not knowing anything about sunblock, I recently bought the Menscience SPF30 based on the relatively light and non-greasy finish. Looks like it wasn't the best decision, but I'm glad I found out before summer.

What did you find wrong with it? I have the Menscience "Ti" one I think, and it's much better than anything else I've used. Light and non-greasy

boo

Reaction score
My comment was based on the review in his blog (at least I assume it's his blog).

SCforM MenScience Product Line Review

Originally Posted by youdee
This one was a disappointment. Like all Menscience products it has a nice non-greasy, matte finish and is packed full of beneficial ingredients (this time antioxidants), making it a really nice sunscreen to use. However, looking at the active ingredients, despite the SPF 30 this sunscreen has hardly any UVA protection at all making it pretty useless if you're looking to prevent sun damage and premature ageing

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
My comment was based on the review in his blog (at least I assume it's his blog).

Yup, that's right! Based on the percentages of chemical sun filters they list, the sunscreen has a very low PPD indicating little UVA protection.

Just for your information, this is from my Sunscreen post:

SPF indicates the level of protection you'll get from burning. PPD (Persistant Pigmentation Darkening) indicates the level of protection you'll get from UVA rays that can cause pigmentation problems, cancer and premature ageing.

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo

Yup, that's right! Based on the percentages of chemical sun filters they list, the sunscreen has a very low PPD indicating little UVA protection.

Just for your information, this is from my Sunscreen post:

SPF indicates the level of protection you'll get from burning. PPD (Persistant Pigmentation Darkening) indicates the level of protection you'll get from UVA rays that can cause pigmentation problems, cancer and premature ageing.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well bummer, I really thought the MenScience was good stuff. Do you have the PPD number for it? Their website lists it as protecting against both UVA/UVB.

Compared to Shiseido with a PPD of 8, I'd be curious what the MenScience has. Does it say on the bottle? Thanks!

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Well bummer, I really thought the MenScience was good stuff. Do you have the PPD number for it? Their website lists it as protecting against both UVA/UVB.

Compared to Shiseido with a PPD of 8, I'd be curious what the MenScience has. Does it say on the bottle? Thanks!

With those percentages it couldn't be more than a 1 or 2. Technically it does protect against UVA, just not very well.

I like the Menscience line in general, they have some really well formulated products but that sunscreen was just crap.

smithgerry

Reaction score
Typically, the higher the SPF, the greasier your face feels. But these new SPF 30 lotions are readily absorbed and so lightweight, you'll feel like you're not wearing any coverage at all.According to me 15 SPF is ideal for our skin.This will helps prevent damage with antioxidants like vitamin E and is fragrance-free, hypoallergenic and noncomedogenic

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I urge anyone in the US to try this:

15_neutrogena-ultra_868f274.jpg

It blocks UVA rays, the ones that cause wrinkles. Helioplex is one of the few options available in the US for blocking UVAs. Sunscreens rarely feel as light as moisturizers, but this one comes closer than any I have tried before, and doesn't leave a white film. I use the SPF 45 version.

They have some water/sweat proof version of this line which I have purchased, but not yet used.

scugger

Reaction score
In the past few months I have tried the Shiseido Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 and the Sofina Perfect UV Lucent SPF 50+ that youdee has mentioned and reviewed on his blog. Both are excellent. I find that the Sofina one in particular is very light (amazing texture) and contains silicon that does not make you look oily at all.

Over the course of a normal day withOUT Sofina, I would need to use those Clean and Clear oil blotting paper by lunchtime. With the Sofina suncreen, I can stay matte until 4-5 PM easily. Also, it does not make you break out, provided that you wash it off well at the end of the day (usually I have to wash face twice). I have acne-prone skin and most things break me out.

EDIT: I should note that although both of those products are good, they are ridiculously expensive. Also, I had to get the Sofina on eBay because it's an Asia-only product.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scugger
In the past few months I have tried the Shiseido Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 and the Sofina Perfect UV Lucent SPF 50+ that youdee has mentioned and reviewed on his blog. Both are excellent. I find that the Sofina one in particular is very light (amazing texture) and contains silicon that does not make you look oily at all.

Over the course of a normal day withOUT Sofina, I would need to use those Clean and Clear oil blotting paper by lunchtime. With the Sofina suncreen, I can stay matte until 4-5 PM easily. Also, it does not make you break out, provided that you wash it off well at the end of the day (usually I have to wash face twice). I have acne-prone skin and most things break me out.

EDIT: I should note that although both of those products are good, they are ridiculously expensive. Also, I had to get the Sofina on eBay because it's an Asia-only product.

You wouldn't happen to have tried the Neutrogena above? I'm guessing it's about $10 vs. $40 for Shiseido.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads