• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sperry war

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Authentic, White.

No more fighting.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go with the authentics, the billfishes look too much like what a fisherman would wear... in the bad way.

i've always been a fan of the classic brown or navy, but the sahara/honey i've seen break in really, really well.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The originals are a classic.

The Fishbills look like orthopedic shoes.

No contest.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones they show as the "authentic original" are so in name only. The original Sperry topsider model was brown with a white sole and no embossed Sperry logo. The gum rubber colored sole and dark tan, as shown, is a mid 80's and later style shoe. (If any of this matters to anyone. But I know a few sailors who take this stuff seriously.
laugh.gif
) The new issue of GQ has pics of several boating shoes. Most are in blue. It seems that they are as popular as ever for everyday wearing. Stay with a classic style and avoid the billfish unless you plan to crew or fish with them.

thepataphysician

Reaction score
authentic. I have brown (of course), green, light blue, navy, white and yellow. I wear them all summer and they are my 2am let the dog out shoes. billfish is wretched; a-rod is wearing them in the latest mens vogue in a photo on a sailboat, he looks about as comfortable as john kerry in camo.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thepataphysician
billfish is wretched; a-rod is wearing them in the latest mens vogue in a photo on a sailboat, he looks about as comfortable as john kerry in camo.

crackup[1].gif

bimmernate

Reaction score
Love Sperrys, though when they get old and wet sometimes they start to smell something horrible.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like both. The billfish definitely has that yachty look to it though.

cTo

Reaction score
this is an easy one... the original

btw, I've gotten word that they are doing the original in black and white patent options this spring.

thepataphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cTo
this is an easy one... the original

btw, I've gotten word that they are doing the original in black and white patent options this spring.

they have black patents available already on their website. they also have a silver that looks pretty cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads