• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spending rule?

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is no spending rule. buy what you can afford but avoid skimping whenever possible. I can't afford to go out and buy $1000+ dress shoes or suits, so I tend to hover around the $500-600 mark for these items, so long as they fit and look good. accessories such as dress shirts, ties, socks, belts, etc., don't hold as much value for me so I avoid spending a lot on these items. I guess I do skimp in this regard but I seriously doubt anyone will notice whether or not my tie or belt cost $50 or $150. it's about how well you present yourself imo, not necessarily how much money you've spent. a man in a poorly fitted $1500 suit still looks like a slob, versus a man in a nicely fitted $400 suit who looks like a million bucks.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there some rule that dictates how much to spend on each item in relation to another?

I could certainly make one up, and it would both sound plausible and be vaguely practical in terms of getting you a wardrobe that looks OK, but it still would be a totally arbitrary rule.

Bottom line, get things that look nice to you & work together, while bearing in mind how much you're comfortable spending on clothes/etc overall. You'll naturally gravitate to buying items from within a certain range of shops that more or less automatically price align. The only things to avoid are one-off, bank-breaking items that prevent you spending on anything else.

30% (probably even 50-100%) more or less on one item than you'd normally spend won't make the blindest bit of difference to the overall effect of your wardrobe IMO. Just don't end up spending multiples more than you're normally comfortable spending, because it will likely mean you'll starve another part of your clothes budget.

Besides, the biggest impact on your overall appearance tends to be the choice of overall style image/archetype you go for and how well you understand it. Some naturally tend to cost more than others to achieve (again, thinking overall budget here). A traditionally/conservatively styled & very well-tailored wardrobe capable of transitioning from work to play is one of the more expensive, I think. There are other looks that are far cheaper to do well. There are one or two that are even pricier. Think about it like that, rather than the relative cost of individual items, I'd suggest.

Last edited:

CentralParkMan

Reaction score
Seriously I don't think you need to follow any spending rules. Worry more about the fit and quality of each item rather than trying to find pieces which cost a certain amount. When it comes to styling a suit the overall look matters much more than having a shirt that costs x amount of dollars and a watch which costs x amount of dollars.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These days it's always proportional to my disposable income. If there's some items that I REALLY want, I can stretch a bit, and save in on other areas. If it's something that I consider disposable (work shirts, ties, underwear, etc.) I always keep costs within my set bounds.

But I have to say, there are some sartorial items that I'll always have an extra thing for, and will easily start stretching my own rules...Navy suits and brown oxfords being some of them.

APHK

Reaction score
I like applying a cost-per-wear criteria for my purchases. The cost-per-wear ranges from USD1 for shirts and USD2 for suits.

Hence, I would be comfortable spending up to the following limits:

1. Suit ~ USD500
2. Shirt ~ USD50
3. Shoes ~ USD650
4. Watch ~ USD6500.

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As for me I would put a premium on tailored suits and shirts, accessories can last for a long time but suits and shirts tend to wear and tear

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel uncomfortable spending more than €100 on a watch. Call me weirdo...

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their are no rules. There are good guidlines, but in the end of course we do what we feel comfortable with.

APHK

Reaction score

I'd think you must have a lot of awesome watches and shoes and a bunch of crappy suits and shirts. 

My suits and shirts are mostly from Marks and Spencer, so yes they can be considered crappy but they suffice for my purposes as long as they fit well.

azumi

Reaction score
I'd think you must have a lot of awesome watches and shoes and a bunch of crappy suits and shirts.
Well, I think for $500, you can buy Benjamin or SS suit (discounted suits are not mentioned) which are obviously not crappy suits IMO (those suit are getting many compliments on this forum). And with $50, for sure we cannot buy luxury shirt like Canali, E.Zegna or Gucci but we still can buy a decent quality house brand shirt, like some selling on Nordstrom or something like that.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I think for $500, you can buy Benjamin or SS suit (discounted suits are not mentioned) which are obviously not crappy suits IMO (those suit are getting many compliments on this forum). And with $50, for sure we cannot buy luxury shirt like Canali, E.Zegna or Gucci but we still can buy a decent quality house brand shirt, like some selling on Nordstrom or something like that.

Yeah, you are right. I wasn't considering discount stores. But still, it seems disproportionate to spend that much on watches and that little on clothes. I mean, if you're gonna.

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score
I think Will of ASW had a quote from George Hamilton a while ago (can't find it now), that went something like "When I see a man wearing cheap shoes and an expensive watch, I know I've got him nailed." That's really something worth considering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads