• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spend high $$$ on a top coat or cheap out

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I am in need of a new top coat. I never owned a "High-End" top coat and I am now trying to decided wether it time to shell out some good money on one. I have had no trouble finding a great high end 100% cashmere coats I like and finding nice Department sotre coats that look "good enough". For refernce sake, most of my suits are Samualsohn or Canali so I do spend a few bucks on those.

Pro for High end coat:

I have it for close to ever, even if it four times as much as a low end coat
It will cost less then most of my suits, but will get worn several days a week in cold weather
Looks Great / Feels Great

Pro for low end coat

Most times I chose to wear a topcaot it because, I need to and it get rough and ready treatment
I attend lots of meetings/events where I check my coat and i wouldn't to worry about my low end coat walking away
The low end coat fits as good as the high end coat and looks good too
Save some money

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
..but I thought you were done spending? :p

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
..but I thought you were done spending? :p

Since that decleration, I bought 2 Canali ties, 2 MTM shirts, another pair of Allen Edmonds and will be buying a topcoat.

Then I promise I am done.

stvnr

Reaction score
It really depends on how much use you would get out of it. You state that you will wear it several times a week. In that case, I would go with a high end top coat. My cashmere top coat is probably one of the best purchases I've ever made considering how much use and enjoyment I get out of it. With that said, you could always stick with what you have and wait until Jan/Feb when you might be able to get a much better deal.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the cheaper coats feels, fits, and looks as good as the high-end one, it's kind of a no brainer. I was debating the same thing awhile ago, getting a cheap CK overcoat or an expensive Paul Smith topcoat. I ended up opting for the much cheaper one, I have no regrets since hardly anyone will ever see the topcoat (I wear it from my car to inside the front entrance of my office, and hang it up before even walking through my office.) Plus I found the fitted high-end topcoats were crushingly tight when worn on top of a suit, while the cheapo CK fit perfectly. When I get bored of it in a year or two, I'll pick up another moderately priced one, but I don't see myself spending more than $450 on it, assuming it's incredibly nice. Paying $1,000+ for an overcoat is just crazy, especially since you take it off as soon as you get inside.
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Since that decleration, I bought 2 Canali ties, 2 MTM shirts, another pair of Allen Edmonds and will be buying a topcoat. Then I promise I am done.
I feel your pain. I thought I was done until next summer... until I brought a I picked up a Etro Tie, Coppley MTM sportcoat, Etro Pocketsquare, Altea Pocket square, and an Eton shirt.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have very good suits, then I would enhance their appearance with a very good topcoat. I bought a really nice one several years ago and it's still my go-to coat, even though I've bought several since then.

Toorman

Reaction score
Patience is the key. Since I walk all over NYC I want to wear something nice but have seen some real nice stuff disappear from coat rooms (accidentally/not so accidentally) I just kept my eyes open and eventually found some great stuff at great deals so I enjoy the best of both worlds. Great pieces I don't have to worry about.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Since that decleration, I bought 2 Canali ties, 2 MTM shirts, another pair of Allen Edmonds and will be buying a topcoat.

Then I promise I am done.

Didnt we have a talk about this.
smile.gif

High end coat. To perhaps compliment your low end ones...

leon12

Reaction score
Personally, I would cheap out on a high $$$ top coat. All pros, no cons.
Check my sig
wink.gif

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leon12
Personally, I would cheap out on a high $$$ top coat. All pros, no cons. Check my sig
wink.gif

I too like this approach.
smile.gif
If you can hold out, check Yoox in January/February. They will have a lot of high-end coats on the cheap. You can also poke around eBay if you're patient. I got a nice NWT RRL Chesterfield, retail ~$1300, for about $250. There are deals to be had, especially with live.com cashback. If you have neither the time nor the patience, nothing wrong with a cheaper one either, as long as it fits well.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
I too like this approach.
smile.gif

If you can hold out, check Yoox in January/February. They will have a lot of high-end coats on the cheap. You can also poke around eBay if you're patient. I got a nice NWT RRL Chesterfield, retail ~$1300, for about $250. There are deals to be had, especially with live.com cashback.

If you have neither the time nor the patience, nothing wrong with a cheaper one either, as long as it fits well.

+2. I think Four In Hand has some very nice reasonably priced ones.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check my sig
wink.gif

I agree, one it's going to get exposed to the elements. Two unlike a suit, you'll be wearing it outside and no one we notice the details you get with a high end one. I was able to get once in January at Jos A Bank for $129 when they had a one a one day Sataurday sale. Considering it recently obtained a hand prit on the right shoulder from an "up up" from my soon to be 4 year old son I'm glad it wasn't an expensive one.

I will add if I were a single guy, I would probably splurge.

seok

Reaction score
Buy a high end coat for a cheap price.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
good advice guys. I have had my eye for a deal, but no luck so far. Seeing as I have got this far into winter I may just have to hold of for a bit longer.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Check my sig
wink.gif

Too high end for me. I thinking a low end - $300 coat or a high end $800-$1000 coat. You have an ultra high end coat on for a great deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads