• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speed reading

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soooo...I am in college which obviously requires a lot of intense reading. It seems that I am a slow reader and often have to read things over to comprehend them. Has anyone ever given speed readings a try? Could anyone recommend any websites or programs for me to look at?

Thanks in advance

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can speed read, and use to do it routinely, especially in college. I'm not familiar with any websites or other resources about the method.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I barely do any of the required readings.
I usually just go over the major points and BS like crazy come the mid-term.

It works fairly well.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They once had a speed reading expert come to school to teach us some pointers. It was more or less useless, my understanding is speed-reading really doesn't do anything as far as retaining details, just incredibly big picture stuff when you can just skim the book and catch anyways.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd resurrect this thread given the large amount of documents I've had to read lately.

Has anyone taken a speed reading class? There is one for 5 hours at 50 or 60 bucks in NY that I got an email about. I would much rather go to a class than pick up a self-help book on how to read more quickly but if it doesn't work to begin with, then there's no point.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. i downloaded this awhile ago off of demonoid. i dunno. i quit after awhile. my reading speed got a lot faster, but comprehension is pretty difficult. like i get a better gist of what's going on than before, but i wouldn't be able to recall the document in detail. in my experience it's not so much the speed that's the problem, but concentrating. sometimes i can read a whole page or so without losing thought, but other times it's difficult to move from one sentence to another without losing focus.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7

It works fairly well.

+1. Got me through college with flying colors!

terb3ar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7

It works fairly well.

Works especially well for liberal arts majors. Everything's based on opinion, anyway!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't understand how speed reading works. I mean, assuming you are reading a textbook of some sort, it takes more time to pause and understand than it does to read. Improving reading speed without improving concept-processing speed in the brain is mostly useless. The only way to improve brain processing speed is pretty much through drugs, such as Ritalin, Adderall, and cocaine. Although these will mostly just increase your ability to focus.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum

in my experience it's not so much the speed that's the problem, but concentrating. sometimes i can read a whole page or so without losing thought, but other times it's difficult to move from one sentence to another without losing focus.

sometimes after reading a page i realize i was thinking about something else the whole time and have no idea what i just read
frown.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I don't understand how speed reading works. I mean, assuming you are reading a textbook of some sort, it takes more time to pause and understand than it does to read. Improving reading speed without improving concept-processing speed in the brain is mostly useless. The only way to improve brain processing speed is pretty much through drugs, such as Ritalin, Adderall, and cocaine. Although these will mostly just increase your ability to focus.
This presumes that the written word is the most efficient form of communication when, in many cases, the overhead of reading a block of text requires significantly more time than the cognitive process of simply understanding the concepts contained in that block of text.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It works best for literature (or essays, or SF posts), and not so good for textbooks or anything technical.

My dad taught me to speed read literature, and it works pretty well.

You shouldn't try to speed read Cliff Notes; because those are already condensed. Missing a little bit of a Cliff Notes is like missing a chapter of a novel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads