• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speed Bag

jakejake

Reaction score
What are the benefits to speed bag work out? It looks fun but I would have to invest some money and set it up in my apartment.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I won't go into details but it's light cardio + toning arms, improves hand eye coordination, reflex speed, and you can then throw a devastating flurry of punches. I got to a point where it sounded like a machine gun firing
wink.gif

melvillebutler

Reaction score
The correct use of speed the ball is intended to be a boxer to keep hands, improve eye-hand coordination, hand speed up, and when moving the platform weight is thrown to the routine the overthrow of achieving at the same time movement. As you increase the speed of your hand, makes the power of his swing. speed up repetitive hand motion eliminates waste.

Morinav

Reaction score
Honestly, a speedbag is largely going to be useful for someone who's actively fighting.

I'd say the average joe that's exercising cares about a strength, endurance, flexibility or cardio. A speedbag increases hand-eye coordination, timing, and unweighted hand speed. These are very specific fitness requirements that are vital for making boxing motions sharp, but largely unneeded elsewhere.

If you're in it for the fun, it's not that bad. Hitting a heavy bag is way more fun than a speedbag, but to each his own. I think it gets a little boring after 16 minutes of working the speedbag.

Also, bear in mind that a speedbag is LOUD. Unless your walls are beefy, your neighbors will hear it.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a lot of fun, but pretty much worthless (unless you're an avid fighter) in terms of a workout. Make sure you get a good swivel (do not use an S swivel, they are junk) and a solid mount. If your mount isn't solid, you won't get a good bounce. The best mounts cost upwards of $700, but if you get a cheaper mount you can add more wood for extra thickness/support - which is what I did. I paid 100 bucks for mine and added a second piece of wood on top of the original piece. You can also place bags of sand on top of the wood for added support. The best mounts use very dense maple hardwood, so find something thick and heavy if you add wood to yours.

It is LOUD. If you live in a condo/apartment, could be a problem. When I lived in an apartment, I put mine in the garage because of the noise. Whatever you do, don't waste money on a free standing mount - get one that secures to a wall.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any real use... I do it because the coach says to do it. There's no workout involved and a very short learning curve. A heavy bag, slip line (easy to do at home), maize ball (easy to do at home), and focus mitts are all far more useful.

jakejake

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I didn't think about the noise issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads