• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Summer Shoes

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
What do people think about cap toe spectators versus wingrip spectators?

Regarding popularity, they seem to be pretty popular now. The Spring display windows were all about spectators, weren't they, from Armani to Kenneth Cole?

Indifferent.

Degendorff

Reaction score
Cap Toe Spectators don't look bad imo, but full brogues are much more interesting.

My problem is the following: I'm from Germany, so I must be able to order it online. Ordering from the US is a possibility, but everything within Europe would be appreciated.

@C&J Gerrard: Is there a possibility to order that pair online/via phone call? Which last is it?

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen some classic spectators at a shop in the center of Zürich, I can have a look and tell you what is there, what is your size ?

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just came across this the other day. In Dressing the Man, Flusser has a photo in the beginning of the book of a city sidewalk scene in the 1920's with four average joes. All four are wearing spectator shoes; two are wingtips, two are captoes. Take a look at the photo. It further confirms for me my view that the curved lines of the wingtipped spectator and the extra broguing make it more sporty and rakish than its captoed cousin.

mell

Reaction score
I have to agree that the wing tip spectators get my vote. I wear both the C&J Gerrard and the Edward Green Malvern spectators. I like the Melvern's darker chestnut color better than the lighter shade of the Gerrards. I do have a pair of Vass spectators as well, although, they are all two toned leather.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of Brand New Grenson Masterpiece captoe spectators (canvas and dark brown with medallion on capt) in size US11D that I will need to sell. I dont' have time to post to B&S as of yet, so just throwing it out there. PM me if you're interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads