1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Spectator shoes.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jun 11, 2007.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

what do you mean, knittie?

2. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

my MTM spectators

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

4. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

made to measure and by hand by a shoe artisan in Peru...

5. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

what do you mean, knittie?

Just a little bit. With spats, the fabric sits on top of the leather, creating an overlap. With those Church's specs, it looks as though part of the fabric (twill?) overlaps the leather slightly at the bottom of the lacing. In other spots the leather overlaps the fabric, which is unspatlike. It's not a criticism, the shoes look fantastic. I just thought it was interesting. The rest of the overall spats look is quite different, since it covers much of the shoe.

6. Presto87

Presto87 Senior member

ok so I only found out what spectator shoes were like a week ago .... but I must say - I WANT! any members from Australia know of any local brands/shops that stock? (don't mean to hijack, but don't think it needs another thread, tell me if you think it does though :p)

7. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

Here are mine: [​IMG] [​IMG]
    These are not Vass, as can easily be spotted from the printing inside the shoes. The last ain't U-last and the welt treatment ain't Vass style either. There's also no beveled waist. Why do you say these shoes are Vass when they actually aren't, LabelKing?[​IMG]

8. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

9. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

He's back?
    'he' is only back temporarily. He is trying to keep the amount of his posts on par with the amount of shoes he owns ... [​IMG]

10. ABALO

ABALO Senior member

These are not Vass, as can easily be spotted from the printing inside the shoes. The last ain't U-last and the welt treatment ain't Vass style either. There's also no beveled waist.

Then who made them please ??

11. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

I'm sure we're in the minority here though.

I used to have a pair of Spanish white calfskin and blue suede spectators and I just bought a pair of Moreschi cognac and caramel spectator wingtips; and yet our own purchases don't represent mass demographics.

I don't know why LabelKing agreed when Briian13 asked about the specs being Vass- maybe as a joke? He clearly stated that they are Moreschi in the opening set of posts...

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I don't know why LabelKing agreed when Briian13 asked about the specs being Vass- maybe as a joke? He clearly stated that they are Moreschi in the opening set of posts...
    These are not Vass, as can easily be spotted from the printing inside the shoes. The last ain't U-last and the welt treatment ain't Vass style either. There's also no beveled waist. Why do you say these shoes are Vass when they actually aren't, LabelKing?[​IMG]
    Yes, Diorshoe was saying earlier these were fake Vass in reference to the overall last shape. They are by Moreschi.

13. meister

meister Senior member

are those your peruvian MTMs?

14. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

If the question was to me, Yes, I have them made to measure by a shoe artisan in Peru when I was there, I showed him a picture of AE Broadstreets and he copied the design for me.

Those artisans are just to the side of the Presidential Palace in the old town.

A pair of MTM shoes in soft leather there costs S/. 220 or $75, they are not goodyear welted, but they are sewn more in the Blake Italian style.

15. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

If the question was to me, Yes, I have them made to measure by a shoe artisan in Peru when I was there, I showed him a picture of AE Broadstreets and he copied the design for me.

Those artisans are just to the side of the Presidential Palace in the old town.

A pair of MTM shoes in soft leather there costs S/. 220 or $75, they are not goodyear welted, but they are sewn more in the Blake Italian style.

$75??? Wow, they sure look like a great bargain at that price. ROADTRIP!!

16. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

$75??? Wow, they sure look like a great bargain at that price. ROADTRIP!!

Don't expect them to be high end hand made shoes like the shoe lovers here like,
    But they are great for the money.

17. Henry Boogers

You don't have pics of the soles, do you? Not that I will really make the trip in the near future, but I'm rather curious. Although I wouldn't expect high-end handmade shoes, the ability to spec out your shoes as you did for the price is oh-so tempting. Around here $75 gets you used AE's in a limited selection of styles.....

18. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

In fact, those guys are amazing, they are able to copy any style, you have only to bring pictures and chose the last you like from the ones they have. I imagine they would also be able to reproduce the last of an existing shoe if you bring it to them.

The soles are leather, plain ones, they are sewn blake style. the whole shoe construction is made by hand ( using a sewing machine off course ) at the shoemaker's workshop.

And I am giving you the highest prices you'd pay... in fact those shoes costed me less as I know the shoemaker from an earlier trip, ( he is not in the old town anymore ) and he charged me S/. 160 or $55 each pair as I was buying 2.

I wanted to buy a pair of AE broadstreets but I never found them new on my size discounted. So I just asked him to copy them for me. They look great and are well made, in a level of quality superior of an standard shoe and they are very confortable as they are made with soft cowhide ( not calf ) and made to measure.

I have seen some spectators here that I like less and cost CHF 360 ($300) and up, mine get a lot of compliments when I wear them.

19. Henry Boogers

Very cool, thanks for the information. I wish I made it overseas more often....

For a pair of spectators I think that low-cost custom shoes are a tremendous bargain. They aren't shoes that I would wear very often, but for these prices why not purchase a few color combinations to spice up the shoe rack?

20. meister

meister Senior member

what style do you like in what size?