• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectacular new Glaser Designs med brown leather color (antiqued)

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Myron has been toying with new leathers and I got to see this one in person last week and it's just stunning

pictures don't do it justice.....
inlove.gif

it's a medium honey brown that's got lots of antiquing - and he's calling it "hand burnished espresso" - and will get darker and more antiqued as it ages. Heirloom quality like all their products

I'm pretty sure he can do any of his designs in this color, including messengers and duffle bags

he's also updating his website with new models and much better pictures and descriptions with videos

watch for changes coming in the next few weeks - GlaserDesigns

Deal Bag
Glaser_6inchdealbag___2.jpg

17" FLATPTOP BAG
Flaptop-1.jpg

EngProf

Reaction score
This could be the bag he's making for my wife. It's to be her anniversary present.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
more info please.

I don't know all the details of the process he's using to antique them but this new color is just incredible

makes Berluti look like painted on junk

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to get over there and see this stuff for myself. I would love to own one of these someday.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is beautiful. It makes the leather look soft as well as deep.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
How I wish I could slap down $1000 for a bag. I can't think of a reason that I need one, and the wife would need 10 reasons.
frown.gif

Smahatma

Reaction score
Damn. Would love a weekender in that buttery leather.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
How I wish I could slap down $1000 for a bag. I can't think of a reason that I need one, and the wife would need 10 reasons.
frown.gif

imho, it's better to spend $900 on a quality briefcase like a Glaser, than on a pair of expensive shoes, because the bag is a lot more noticeable (rides higher on the body), will last you a lot longer and will make everything you wear look a lot better when you walk around with it. It instantly upgrades the owner

You stand out from the crowd in a way that only few suits or shoes or watches can do. Watches hide under you cuff, shoes are only noticed in passing and suits have to be incredible to get noticed in a sea of blue and grey. A Glaser bag like the one in the picture above will get a lot more attention than a pair of Lobb or EG shoes or a Rolex watch, if you care about that sort of thing

and you're getting a heck of a lot more leather for the price than either of those other two (you could probably make 3-4 pairs of shoes with the leather of one bag)

another reason to buy one sooner rather than later is the rapidly deteriorating condition of the leather tanning industry. Many of the best tanneries around the world are shutting down because they can't compete against cheap foreign sources and quality will only get worse from here. It's getting harder and harder for quality producers like Glaser to find good sources of leather and when they do, prices are soaring. It's counter-intuitive to have this happening during a huge recession, but it's simple supply & demand and supply is drying up fast globally.

take advantage while you can

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point on standing out.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
imho, it's better to spend $900 on a quality briefcase like a Glaser, than on a pair of expensive shoes, because the bag is a lot more noticeable (rides higher on the body), will last you a lot longer and will make everything you wear look a lot better when you walk around with it. It instantly upgrades the owner

You stand out from the crowd in a way that only few suits or shoes or watches can do. Watches hide under you cuff, shoes are only noticed in passing and suits have to be incredible to get noticed in a sea of blue and grey. A Glaser bag like the one in the picture above will get a lot more attention than a pair of Lobb or EG shoes or a Rolex watch, if you care about that sort of thing

and you're getting a heck of a lot more leather for the price than either of those other two (you could probably make 3-4 pairs of shoes with the leather of one bag)

I agree with all of this.

another reason to buy one sooner rather than later is the rapidly deteriorating condition of the leather tanning industry. Many of the best tanneries around the world are shutting down because they can't compete against cheap foreign sources and quality will only get worse from here. It's getting harder and harder for quality producers like Glaser to find good sources of leather and when they do, prices are soaring.

But not this. You're probably right about tanneries closing, but I don't anticipate us losing the knowledge of how to tan high quality leather. If the trend across most luxury goods is anything to go by, then we'll see increased production of high end leather over the upcoming decades, not less.

I don't mean to thread-jack, so I won't go on about this, but I'm happy to discuss further in another thread.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
I agree with all of this.

But not this. You're probably right about tanneries closing, but I don't anticipate us losing the knowledge of how to tan high quality leather. If the trend across most luxury goods is anything to go by, then we'll see increased production of high end leather over the upcoming decades, not less.

I don't mean to thread-jack, so I won't go on about this, but I'm happy to discuss further in another thread.

it's a huge issue,,,,there are only 1 or 2 good tanneries left in North America and they are both in financial trouble trying to compete against cheaper sources in Asia and India. Even India is experiencing a huge retrenchment and they are the low cost producer globally

leathers that Glaser and high end shoe companies sources use old fashioned tanning processes that include several layers of oils and waxes,,,it's a discipline that is becoming too expensive to do as consumers get 'dumbed down' and accept contantly lesser quality leathers

take shoes for instance - why do square toed plasticy shoes ever sell to anybody? because consumers have been dumbed down to tolerate them. Not you and me of course,,,, but the masses. And the masses are what drive quality producers out of business

tanneries also got killed last year with rapily rising input costs for chemicals when oil went to $147/bbl and then got hit with collapsing demand as orders fell off a cliff. And worse for them, it's a longer cycle business so they got hit holding inventories as orders got cancelled. Double whammy and many will go bankrupt and it will take down the good with the bad

so buy quality while you can still get it because this looks to be a very long and deep recession

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

another reason to buy one sooner rather than later is the rapidly deteriorating condition of the leather tanning industry. Many of the best tanneries around the world are shutting down because they can't compete against cheap foreign sources and quality will only get worse from here. It's getting harder and harder for quality producers like Glaser to find good sources of leather and when they do, prices are soaring. It's counter-intuitive to have this happening during a huge recession, but it's simple supply & demand and supply is drying up fast globally.

Believe me, I'd pick up that exact bag that you posted in a heartbeat (what is the name of it on the site, by the way?). However, we are about to enter escrow with our first house purchase and spending upwards of a grand on a bag will not sit well with the wife no matter how much I explained all of this to her.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Believe me, I'd pick up that exact bag that you posted in a heartbeat (what is the name of it on the site, by the way?). However, we are about to enter escrow with our first house purchase and spending upwards of a grand on a bag will not sit well with the wife no matter how much I explained all of this to her.

I feel your pain!

it's a 6" deal bag in hand antiqued espresso leather

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads