• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Specific tailors for specific brands?

clubbyjones

Reaction score
This may be a really newb question...

Usually I buy my suits from the boutiques or a NM where the tailors know the brands of suits and how they are supposed to fit. No problem.

I recently bought a RLBL from a friend and want to get it tailored. The people at the RL store said I can't use their tailor....but I want a tailor who will make the suit fit like a RLBL should. Should I call up multiple tailors? Bring in a picture from the website? How does one get the exact fit of the brand without using tailors who know the design/fit specifically?

Thanks in advance!

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never use brand/store tailors or take their advice. The tailors are expensive as hell and they usually steer you toward the whole boxy long sleeve look.

It's better to try to find yourself a nice independent tailor to do ALL your alterations. Where do you live? I'm sure the gentlemen around here can point you in the direction of a good tailor.

theoldadage

Reaction score
I don't understand the concept of getting a suit altered in the 'RLBL' way. Surely its a case of any skilled tailor making the suit work for your body shape?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theoldadage
I don't understand the concept of getting a suit altered in the 'RLBL' way. Surely its a case of any skilled tailor making the suit work for your body shape?

RLBL is generally quite slim fitting, so I presume he means he will have the suit altered to fit closer than if he wanted a more conservative look.

clubbyjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
RLBL is generally quite slim fitting, so I presume he means he will have the suit altered to fit closer than if he wanted a more conservative look.

Exactly.

I'm located in Houston.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go back to the tailor you've had the best luck with, whatever store he happens to be at. Explain what you want done and hopefully he can grasp the concept and execute.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.