• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speaking of c & j audleys

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really desiring the C & J Audleys in the dark brown antiqued, but with the great deals I've gotten on shoes I hesitate to pay even English Shoes prices. Where in the world can I find them in a retail store in Boston or the Boston area? Then perhaps I'd find them on sale. In lieu of that, if anyone sees these shoes in a 10.5 US at a spectacular price, let me know. Depending on the price I might make it worth your while to pick them up for me.
smile.gif

rayk

Reaction score
I have a pair of Audley on order from PLal, and have bought all of my C&J handgrades from this seller. In my opinion, you are not going to find this line of shoes in the Boston area, or anywhere else in the US, for less than what you can expect to pay at PLal ($397 delivered).

If you must buy from a US stockist, C&J handgrade shoes are sold at Ben Silver at fairly reasonable prices, at least relative to prices I've seen for this line at other US retail stores ($495 as opposed to $600+). In addition to the higher cost of C&J in the US, most retailers that carry these shoes have a limited selection of styles available.

Should you choose to purchase from PLal, I'm confident you will find Shyam Doshi a most pleasant gentleman to deal with. He will go to any length to satisfy you. You must be prepared for considerable waits for delivery of your orders, however. But the savings help make the waits tolerable.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should you choose to purchase from PLal, I'm confident you will find Shyam Doshi a most pleasant gentleman to deal with.  He will go to any length to satisfy you.  You must be prepared for considerable waits for delivery of your orders, however.  But the savings help make the waits tolerable.
He's a very good guy, and very prompt with his emails. You really get the impression that he really cares about getting your order just right.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$397 includes the delivery? That is pretty good, and indeed it may be the route I'll go eventually. I had heard Barney's carries C & J and that they go on sale twice a year. Maybe I'll call them.

Alias, how would you describe the leather on your Handgrades? I like the thicker English leather -- one selling point about Alden for me -- that you find on a lot of English shoes.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barney's carries the handgrade line, but they rarely go on sale (I got super lucky at one warehouse sale and snatched up a pair). The regular line you'll have more luck with.

koji

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alias, how would you describe the leather on your Handgrades?  I like the thicker English leather -- one selling point about Alden for me -- that you find on a lot of English shoes.
The leather is substantial - no flimsy, huge-creases-right-off-the-bat leather here. Still, the leather's soft enough to avoid hurting your feet. I didn't even have to break mine in. They were comfortable right from the start. (Of course, if you have odd feet, your results may vary.)

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
I was scanning the Ben Silver site and saw that they stock the Weymouths. Are they a different colour from the ones C&J sells? The Ben Silver web-site describes the colour as "tan". Are these in fact a different colour from the standard "dark brown antique" that C&J sells?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Ben Silver is just screwed up. The Weymouths in the picture are definitely the standard dark brown--compare them to other shoes on the Ben Silver site that really are antique tan and you'll see the difference.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was scanning the Ben Silver site and saw that they stock the Weymouths. Are they a different colour from the ones C&J sells? The Ben Silver web-site describes the colour as "tan". Are these in fact a different colour from the standard "dark brown antique" that C&J sells?
I took some monstrous photos of my Weymouths and posted them in this thread. Should give you a better idea of what colour to expect. I would not describe them as tan at all.

MPS

Reaction score
C & J make the Weymouth in at least 2 shades of brown: a very dark brown (similar to EG dark oak) and a mid-brown. According to the manager of the Jermyn St. store, shoes in the latter shade are exported to the far east, and are not usually available in the UK (except during sales). Tattersall's are mid-brown, as are mine (I also ordered mine from PLal).

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took some monstrous photos of my Weymouths and posted them in this thread. Should give you a better idea of what colour to expect. I would not describe them as tan at all.
In the bottom picture, yours look similar to the ones in the Ben Silver pictures, but in the upper pictures where the flash was closer to the shoes, they look lighter than the Ben Silver ones. Now I'm confused.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the bottom picture, yours look similar to the ones in the Ben Silver pictures, but in the upper pictures where the flash was closer to the shoes, they look lighter than the Ben Silver ones.

Now I'm confused.

Well, now that we've established that I'm not a professional photographer, hopefully I can resolve the confusion somewhat using words.

I'd describe the Weymouths (mid-brown as MPS says) as a cross between my first and third photo. The middle photo had too much reflection from the flash. What you'll like about these shoes, though, is that the antiquing does give them varied appearance in different lights

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, now that we've established that I'm not a professional photographer, hopefully I can resolve the confusion somewhat using words.

I'd describe the Weymouths (mid-brown as MPS says) as a cross between my first and third photo. The middle photo had too much reflection from the flash. What you'll like about these shoes, though, is that the antiquing does give them varied appearance in different lights
Sorry if I dissed your photography skills--no slight intended. And even pros have to deal with variations in exposure.

My confusion was really just in trying to figure out whether the Ben Silver shoes are the mid-brown (like yours) or the darker brown. To me the shoes on Ben Silver's site really do look lighter than the pictures on Crockett & Jones' own website. Since I know yours are the mid-brown, I was trying to compare your pics against Ben Silver's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads