1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Speaking of c & j audleys

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Aug 10, 2004.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I'm really desiring the C & J Audleys in the dark brown antiqued, but with the great deals I've gotten on shoes I hesitate to pay even English Shoes prices. Where in the world can I find them in a retail store in Boston or the Boston area? Then perhaps I'd find them on sale. In lieu of that, if anyone sees these shoes in a 10.5 US at a spectacular price, let me know. Depending on the price I might make it worth your while to pick them up for me. [​IMG]

2. rayk

rayk Senior Member

I have a pair of Audley on order from PLal, and have bought all of my C&J handgrades from this seller. In my opinion, you are not going to find this line of shoes in the Boston area, or anywhere else in the US, for less than what you can expect to pay at PLal ($397 delivered).

If you must buy from a US stockist, C&J handgrade shoes are sold at Ben Silver at fairly reasonable prices, at least relative to prices I've seen for this line at other US retail stores ($495 as opposed to $600+). In addition to the higher cost of C&J in the US, most retailers that carry these shoes have a limited selection of styles available.

Should you choose to purchase from PLal, I'm confident you will find Shyam Doshi a most pleasant gentleman to deal with. He will go to any length to satisfy you. You must be prepared for considerable waits for delivery of your orders, however. But the savings help make the waits tolerable.

3. Alias

Alias Distinguished Member

He's a very good guy, and very prompt with his emails. You really get the impression that he really cares about getting your order just right.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

$397 includes the delivery? That is pretty good, and indeed it may be the route I'll go eventually. I had heard Barney's carries C & J and that they go on sale twice a year. Maybe I'll call them.

Alias, how would you describe the leather on your Handgrades? I like the thicker English leather -- one selling point about Alden for me -- that you find on a lot of English shoes.

5. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

Barney's carries the handgrade line, but they rarely go on sale (I got super lucky at one warehouse sale and snatched up a pair). The regular line you'll have more luck with.

koji

6. Alias

Alias Distinguished Member

The leather is substantial - no flimsy, huge-creases-right-off-the-bat leather here. Still, the leather's soft enough to avoid hurting your feet. I didn't even have to break mine in. They were comfortable right from the start. (Of course, if you have odd feet, your results may vary.)

7. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior Member

I was scanning the Ben Silver site and saw that they stock the Weymouths. Are they a different colour from the ones C&J sells? The Ben Silver web-site describes the colour as "tan". Are these in fact a different colour from the standard "dark brown antique" that C&J sells?

8. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

I think Ben Silver is just screwed up. The Weymouths in the picture are definitely the standard dark brown--compare them to other shoes on the Ben Silver site that really are antique tan and you'll see the difference.

9. tattersall

tattersall Distinguished Member

I took some monstrous photos of my Weymouths and posted them in this thread. Should give you a better idea of what colour to expect. I would not describe them as tan at all.

10. MPS

MPS Senior Member

C & J make the Weymouth in at least 2 shades of brown: a very dark brown (similar to EG dark oak) and a mid-brown. According to the manager of the Jermyn St. store, shoes in the latter shade are exported to the far east, and are not usually available in the UK (except during sales). Tattersall's are mid-brown, as are mine (I also ordered mine from PLal).

11. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

In the bottom picture, yours look similar to the ones in the Ben Silver pictures, but in the upper pictures where the flash was closer to the shoes, they look lighter than the Ben Silver ones. Now I'm confused.

12. tattersall

tattersall Distinguished Member

Well, now that we've established that I'm not a professional photographer, hopefully I can resolve the confusion somewhat using words.

I'd describe the Weymouths (mid-brown as MPS says) as a cross between my first and third photo. The middle photo had too much reflection from the flash. What you'll like about these shoes, though, is that the antiquing does give them varied appearance in different lights

13. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

Sorry if I dissed your photography skills--no slight intended. And even pros have to deal with variations in exposure.

My confusion was really just in trying to figure out whether the Ben Silver shoes are the mid-brown (like yours) or the darker brown. To me the shoes on Ben Silver's site really do look lighter than the pictures on Crockett & Jones' own website. Since I know yours are the mid-brown, I was trying to compare your pics against Ben Silver's.