• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Speaker Help: Rogers vs. B&O

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get the best sound out of my system as possible, so I'm gonna need some of you audio expert's help. My system as of now consists of: Vintage Pioneer SA-9100 Stereo amplifier (when I get $$, this will be replaced with a tube amp of some sort) Vintage Pioneer TX-9100 Stereo tuner Sonographe SG-3 with a Sumiko MMT arm Rogers LS3/5A monitors I found the Rogers at the Goodwill for $4 a pop. Some clueless moron blew right past these to snatch up the banged up pair of Bose speakers next to them. He looked rather thrilled.....
The Rogers are in mint condition, and something tells me they were donated still in the box, but the box was thrown out by the workers
Anyway, they're a matched pair, early serial # and sound very nice. I found a pair of Target speaker stands at the Salvation Army later that day that I'm using for them at the moment. A friend of mine told me he used to have a pair of Bang and Olufsen Beolab 3000 speakers back in the early 90's that were the best speakers he's ever owned. He's an audio nut, so I figure he knows what he's talking about. I REALLY like the look of the B&Os, but I want the sound to be comparable or better than my Rogers if I'm gonna give those up. Any thoughts? Beolab 3000 http://www.beocentral.com/products/blab3000 Rogers http://www.ls35a.com/

nem

Reaction score
Don't ever give up on your Rogers. You've made the audio equivalent of walking away with a Monet from a flea market. With your luck I'd try to find a pair of Leak TL/12 to power the Rogers. That would bring you close enough to Nirvana.

Use the B&Os for TV speakers or something similar if you really feel the need to display them. They aren't close to the Rogers in any way.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Rogers if they're in working condition are very fine speakers, though they are inefficient. You may want to try a more powerful amp when your budget allows it, but then again, I've heard them sound very good with a pair of modified Dynaco tube amps.

If you want to switch, B&O wouldn't be the first place I'd look.

--Andre

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 39 17.0%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Carmina

Votes: 34 14.8%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 38 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 75 32.8%