• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spare Room Dressing Room/Closet

Gobbo

Reaction score
I have an extra bedroom in my house that for the last 3 years I haven't been able to figure out what to do with... The idea that I've been thinking about lately is buying some racks, storage, and a mirror and converting it into a dressing room/huge "closet".

Right now I already have my things split between closets in two different rooms so I'm thinking it would be good to combine them and have everything in one place instead of running back and forth to get ready in the morning.

With that said, I can't help but think that I'm taking my little hobby of being well dressed a bit too far by doing this and can already hear the comments from my wife and friends.

Is this a crazy idea and if not has anyone done this and how did it turn?

SchwererGustav

Reaction score
I haven't done this, but it seems sound to me. You said yourself that you were running between the two rooms to get dressed.

The bigger question: What does your wife think of you having a bigger closet than her?

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my good friends did this in his house, but he has quite a few rooms. I've considered it but just ended up streamlining my closet.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless your two closets are quite small, I think it's ridiculous. You need less clothes. IN my opinion, men and women need don't need a large quantity of clothes to dress well or have style. I honestly think it's a sign of laziness.

Last edited:

Gobbo

Reaction score
I haven't done this, but it seems sound to me. You said yourself that you were running between the two rooms to get dressed.

The bigger question: What does your wife think of you having a bigger closet than her?

She's used to my quirks and crazy ideas by now so she's gotten pretty good at ignoring them and going with the flow vs. getting upset or something similar. In any case, I offered to share but she didn't bite!

Unless your two closets are quite small, I think it's ridiculous. You need less clothes. IN my opinion, men and women need don't need a large quantity of clothes to dress well or have style. I honestly think it's a sign of laziness.

They're not huge but this is the reaction I expect from friends, etc. Basically in my half of the bedroom walk-in I have all my shirts, jeans, and pants and then in another room about 20 suits, 10 sports coats, and my outerwear.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We did this in our house. The spare room was adjacent to the master suite, so it was pretty easy. (Knocked out a wall, and made it into a giant walk-in closet.

Worked out very well, but wife still complains that my clothes take up too much space.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Clothes do take up a lot of space, especially if you like to give them enough room not to be squished.
I try to maintain about 2-3" between the hangers on suits and sport coats. Seems neurotic but it looks presentable and allows them room to breathe and let out wrinkles.

I have had to modify my walk-in to use the space more effectively, and I still rotate out stuff that I do not use very quickly to maintain a lack of clutter.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my .02,If you do this,make sure you haven't permanently converted the room. i know someone who had a spare bedroom and did a BEAUTIFUL dressing room. however soon after they had to sell the house and buyers had no ability to see the value of an entire room dedicated to changing.He had to tear it all out, cost him about 15K from building to tearout... Moral of the story, either make it something easily converted back to a bedroom or risk the buyers wrath in the future

steveabdn

Reaction score
I am thinking exactly the same thing,

Marc has taken the words right out of my mouth, anything you do has to be able to be undone with minimum of fuss, you may find someone who shares your passion in which case you can negotiate it as an additional selling point but if that's not possible you want to wipe it out simply and preferably by yourself

I'm actually going to be converting 2 areas of the house, we are in a new build and the lack of storage space is terrible, it's not something you notice while you're falling in love with the kitchen etc but for instance in the main bedroom the wardrobes backs onto the hot water tank meaning 1/3 of the wardrobe is lost where the hot water tank wall cuts into it.

We have a Jack and Jill type en suite with the 2nd and 4th bedrooms and intend moving into the 2nd bedroom and modifying the 4th. For this I'm considering putting in Huelsta wardrobes, they are fantastic! The next house we move to is going to be our own design and build and I will be taking the wardrobe with me to form part of the new master suite.

I'm also converting the garage into a utility room / storage area, again this will easily be removed but I think most people would appreciate that additional space more than a big, fancy cupboard.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our house has four large bedrooms and when we bought it the previous owners (a pair of empty-nesters) had set up one of the bedrooms as a large dressing room/closet. My wife and I thought it was great at first but we quickly realized that we were using it as an excuse to buy more and more stuff that we didn't need.

Within a year we ended up taking out all the shelving and storage they had installed and converting it back into a proper bedroom, even though at the time we didn't need another bedroom. It just seemed simpler and forced us to think a bit more before acquiring more clothing/accessories.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads