• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spanish shoes from "George's Coll" on ebay

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found an interesting pair of captoes in my size on ebay, from the Spanish maker "George's Coll": http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....30&rd=1 Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Â The company's website has minimal information (though I don't read Spanish), but does verify that the company exists, makes a line of Goodyear welted shoes, and has apparently been making shoes since 1967(?.?). I'm curious, don't think I'm $185 curious, without more information.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar to Mezlan in construction, perhaps slightly better leather. I can get you those exact shoes at Marshalls right now for $75.

Ed13

Reaction score
I purchased a pair on ebay last summer. Over all, a decent shoe at the right price. For $185 I would wait for the Grensons to arrive at Bennie's.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar to Mezlan in construction, perhaps slightly better leather.  I can get you those exact shoes at Marshalls right now for $75.
I think they (or other shoes by this brand) run for either 80 or 100 at the Pentagon City Marshall's in Northern Virginia. $180 is a significant markup, which I think you can wait out.

FCS

Reaction score
Similar to Mezlan huh? I guess I've been had, paid $167 incl shipping for a pair, plus the government levied sales taxes on my package. The listing glorified the shoes as handmade retailing for $400-$500 (can't remember exactly).

They look to be welted shoes (in the sense that AE and Alden are 'welted') though. Mezlans aren't welted, are they?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mezlan are welted, and they aren't bad. The leather of the George's is better than Mezlan IMO, but they aren't true goodyear welts. To that extent, the construction is similar to Mezlan IMO. The styling is a bit better in the Georges, from what I've seen. I don't think you've been "had" -- I don't doubt that the George's retail for near $400. But my point is that I can go down the street and get them for $75 right now.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a pair on ebay last summer.  Over all, a decent shoe at the right price.  For $185 I would wait for the Grensons to arrive at Bennie's.
Keep waiting, cause I am getting really tired of Grenson not giving answers to us.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help gents.. I'm very impressed, as I thought this must be such an obscure brand that no one had heard of them. I'm trying to keep a lid on my impatience with Grenson and have resolved not to buy shoes from anyone without a "no questions asked" return policy (e.g. ebay) until I've had a chance to try on the make, model, and preferably the correct last for the shoe on sale. Shoes aren't like shirts and jackets that I can take to the local alterations shop and have fixed when they don't fit. That said, I only make it to DC or other major cities 4-5 times a year, at most. So trying on the various makes that are showing up on ebay may take some time.
cry.gif
In the meantime, I'm hoping Chris will soon have Grenson's in my size (Not a prod, Chris. Appreciate your post). Must....stop.....searching.....ebay.

FCS

Reaction score
Mezlan are welted, and they aren't bad.  The leather of the George's is better than Mezlan IMO, but they aren't true goodyear welts.  To that extent, the construction is similar to Mezlan IMO.  The styling is a bit better in the Georges, from what I've seen.  I don't think you've been "had" -- I don't doubt that the George's retail for near $400.  But my point is that I can go down the street and get them for $75 right now.
Several listings compare the brand to (regular) Santoni and Lobb, one or two listings even compare them to the $1000 calibers. I don't think the quality is even on par to Allen Edmonds, though, and so I doubt it would sell >$400.

They are still decent shoes but I guess better deals could be found with relative ease.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have seen them, and as has been said they are like Mezlan. though with better leather and styling. I don't remember them being Goodyear welted, but the shoes in the auction look like they could be, which would put that pair on par with say, Church's. All the sellers are getting them at Marshall's, so they are guessing about the retail. I think they would probably run $225 - $250 or so.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of this brand are goodyear welted, others are not. I have seen lace-ups that were and also slip-ons that were not.

Paraboot also makes goodyear welted and non-welted (bolognese) constructions. So you have to examine each shoe.

CTBRASS

Reaction score
I am wearing a pair of "George's Coll" right now....have had them for about 10 years.....best shoes I have ever owned.....totally leather and look as good as the day they were purchased.....wish I could find more

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads