Spanish Bespoke.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Dec 16, 2006.

1. epa

epa Senior member

Just one more thing, talking about Spain: I have the feeling that many men do not care very much about their shoes. I have the feeling that I often see people with nice and certainly expensive clothing wearing rather horrible shoes, often some kind of awkward mockasins. Also, I often find the shoes not to be adequately polished, or even dirty.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have the feeling that Loewe is quite expensive for its quality level, what do you think? Also, I find most of their stuff quite booring. Some years ago I bought some nice (I thought) Loewe ties (on sale), but last years collections have been horrible, I think. Also, I find that Loewe is one of these firms that tend to overload their stuff with large, extremely visible logos (yes, more or less like Carolina Herrera), in a way that appears a bit too tacky even for me.
    I think so too, especially since LVMH bought them out.

If LVMH buys out any firm, look forward to large logos and inflated prices.

3. satanama

satanama Active Member

Here's a link to an article on Spanish royal family's bespoke tailors (Larrainzar and Gallo). The shirtmaker is Burgos. http://www.elmundo.es/magazine/2002/125/1013789769.html

The addresses are:

JAIME GALLO
    Serrano, 27
    28001 MADRID

CAMISERIA BURGOS
    Cedaceros, 2
    28014 MADRID

And as of Larrainzar, (I know it's somewhere in "calle Cedaceros", very close to CamiserÃa Burgos) I believe it is:

LOPEZ HERBON S.L.
    Cedaceros, 9
    28014 - Madrid

Hope this helps

Iñaki

4. satanama

satanama Active Member

Sorry, I forgot John Lobb's address in Madrid:

JOHN LOBB
    Nuñez de Balboa, 16
    Madrid

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Interesting. By what chance, do you know the type of cut?

Is it angled towards the British?

6. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

One thing to keep in mind, spain was barely better than a third world country before 1960. It's no wonder luxury industries or bespoke business don't really exist there.

!luc

7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

One thing to keep in mind, spain was barely better than a third world country before 1960. It's no wonder luxury industries or bespoke business don't really exist there.

!luc

Unlike, say, Naples?

8. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

!luc

One thing to keep in mind is that Spain once had an empire (that included large swatches of Latin America, Asia and, hmm, Europe to the north). That allowed it to support court painters and fine dress (at the royal and chattering class level, anyway):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ez-Meninas.jpg

Fast forwarding to today, Spain´s stock of new high-end cars recently surpassed that of France and Italy. That gives you a sense for disposable income Spaniards have around, even if it´s to buy unpolished loafers.

Regarding style, I´d say there is no particular signature Spanish dress style (except for the "teba", kind of a cross between a sweater and a jacket). Look, the Prince also tends to dress in a pan-european style. Italian (Panerai watch, sort of high armholes and button stance), English (trouser cuffs, double vented jacket, EG shoes) and...

http://noticias.ya.com/fotos/200510/2105.htm

9. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Unlike, say, Naples?

Naples was such a popular holiday spot for wealthy British that it was like visiting a colony.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

One thing to keep in mind, spain was barely better than a third world country before 1960. It's no wonder luxury industries or bespoke business don't really exist there. !luc
    Spain had one of the world's largest empires and proved to have been an artistic centerpiece. It was really the Franco regime that tended to diminish things. Beware or I may ask about Portugal's bespoke.

11. epa

epa Senior member

Spain had one of the world's largest empires and proved to have been an artistic centerpiece. It was really the Franco regime that tended to diminish things.
    Well, if I don´t remember wrong, Spain had an empire in the 16th-17th century, but all that easy money that came in from the colonies (like gold and silver from South America) actually wasted the local industries. I believe to recall that the fine Spanish merino wool actually ended up being woven abroad (in England?). Craftmanship and industry were not considered "nobel" occupations (although some of it survived in Catalonia and in the Basque Country) and there were easier ways to make money.
    Yes, Spain may have been kind of third world country in the 50´s.
    Of course, there was quite a click of wealthy people, but that is quite common also in third world countries, I think. However, I believe that "made in Spain" was never something that appealed to them, so those who could afford bespoke probably went abroad for it, maybe to England...

12. Luc-Emmanuel

One thing to keep in mind is that Spain once had an empire (that included large swatches of Latin America, Asia and, hmm, Europe to the north). That allowed it to support court painters and fine dress (at the royal and chattering class level, anyway):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ez-Meninas.jpg

I was referring to "modern times", of course.

Fast forwarding to today, Spain´s stock of new high-end cars recently surpassed that of France and Italy. That gives you a sense for disposable income Spaniards have around, even if it´s to buy unpolished loafers.
    it gives me a sense of how easy it is to get a debt funded economy booming.

!luc

13. Luc-Emmanuel

Spain had one of the world's largest empires and proved to have been an artistic centerpiece. It was really the Franco regime that tended to diminish things.

Beware or I may ask about Portugal's bespoke.

Spain was mostly an agricultural economy at the beginning of the 20th century, and it's only the last 30 years or so (especially since 1986 and european funds) which made spain a "modern" economical power. Spannish economy is still vastly dependant on tourism.

!luc

14. Luc-Emmanuel

Unlike, say, Naples?
    Naples hasn't been independant since 1860.

!luc

15. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

it gives me a sense of how easy it is to get a debt funded economy booming.

!luc

You must be an economist as well as a sartorial expert.

Official Eurostat data:

1. Deficit / GDP in France: 3.6% (non-compliance with Maastrict treaty).
    2. Deficit / GDP in Spain: 0.1%

3. Government consolidated debt / GDP in France: 65.1%
    4. Government consolidated debt / GDP in Spain: 46.9%