1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Spambots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TRINI, Apr 6, 2010.

1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Is there anything that can be done about all these damn [​IMG] bots???

2. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^^[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I dont know if anything can be done, maybe a period after registration before posts are allowed. They are annoying as hell

3. ohm

ohm Senior member

Wow. This is so meta.

It was pretty funny. I usually report them. Also, don't quote them as it makes it more difficult for the mods to clean up.

4. Icehawk

Icehawk Senior member

It was pretty funny. I usually report them. Also, don't quote them as it makes it more difficult for the mods to clean up.

Honestly this is pathetic - I love the site but there is a spambot in another thread (nike......... or some such) with 137 posts. It isn't hard to ban & delete these but also a look at the registration method needs to be done.

5. randob300

randob300 Senior member

Took him 20 minutes to find you. Not bad, but needs some improvement.

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Honestly this is pathetic - I love the site but there is a spambot in another thread (nike......... or some such) with 137 posts. It isn't hard to ban & delete these but also a look at the registration method needs to be done.

Yep, they need some sort of CAPTCHA; or if they already have one, they need a better one.

7. Valor

Valor Senior member

Isn't it really easy to add some random questions to the registration process?

(what is the name of this forum?)

and ask questions say every 10 posts that require you to actually be at your computer.

8. trader

trader Senior member

i think a CAPTCHA should be required for the first 5 posts or for members less than a month old. after either of those conditions are met they can become regular members. also, they shouldn't be allowed to posts in B&S threads that are over a year old asking if the item is still available....

9. intent

intent Senior member

CAPTCHAs aren't perfect. There are tons of cheap labourers who can be hired to beat CAPTCHA images.

10. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

CAPTCHAs aren't perfect. There are tons of cheap labourers who can be hired to beat CAPTCHA images.

Maybe, but I somehow doubt that the forum spambot business model is robust enough to pay Indian day-labourers to flog Kobe Bryant hi-tops in a marketplace where Cesare Attolini goatskin codpieces are hot commodities.

11. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Maybe, but I somehow doubt that the forum spambot business model is robust enough to pay Indian day-labourers to flog Kobe Bryant hi-tops in a marketplace where Cesare Attolini goatskin codpieces are hot commodities.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. j

j Senior member

The CAPTCHA is already difficult - I signed up a test account the other day and had to refresh it a few times. Some people email me to complain they can't read it.

There are already questions and answers that need to be answered. Feel free to go halfway through the process to see what is required.

When the upgrade to the new version is finalized, there should be some new features to help combat this.

In the meantime DON'T QUOTE SPAM for crying out loud. I'm going to start timing people out if they can't get the hint.

13. apropos

apropos Senior member

The CAPTCHA is already difficult - I signed up a test account the other day and had to refresh it a few times. Some people email me to complain they can't read it.
    So you're saying that artificial intelligence has already overtaken human intelligence?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]