• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spalla Camicia - The back view

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have read somewhere that this type of construction was favoured for travel jackets.
Moving while sitting is easier in this jacket than in traditional structered-shoulder jacket...

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I have read somewhere that this type of construction was favoured for travel jackets.
Moving while sitting is easier in this jacket than in traditional structered-shoulder jacket...

Hard to see how it makes any difference. I have suits from the same tailor made this way and the standard way. They feel the same.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
This particular fabric is a 10 oz fresco from Woodehouse.

Parise be where deserved! VERY nicely done matt. I am not a fan of this shoulder. I have seen very few examples of this done well in NY... usual circle of friends.

Does your tailor (who I think it is) stocks a large woodehouse selection or is it CMT?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tutee
Parise be where deserved! VERY nicely done matt. I am not a fan of this shoulder. I have seen very few examples of this done well in NY... usual circle of friends.

Does your tailor (who I think it is) stocks a large woodehouse selection or is it CMT?

Yes, almost all of the summer fabric that he stocks is Woodehouse. He seems to like it more than the alternatives.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Looks great Matt.
smile.gif

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Gotcha. I have three jackets made with a spalla camacia - one bespoke and two RTW. One of the RTW, maybe both, has lapped sleeve seams. I am pretty sure the bespoke one does not have lapped seams. I will check to see how the sleeves are inserted into the armscye.

I checked. None of them have lapped sleeve seams. The method of attachment does shift from the spalla camacia style to the more conventional method at about that point, on both sides.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
the suits I had made at a Neapolitan tailor in Sydney always looked like that

Who may I ask might that be? I must confess that I didn't know there was a Neapolitan tailor in Sydney. Adamo Marrone is from around Biella and I know of a couple of tailors from Sicily but nobody from Naples. The other day, Adamo showed me a lovely example of a sportcoat he had made with a spalla camicia.

don_andomo

Reaction score
Matt, the jacket looks fantastic; the back is very clean. However, if I may make one small observation, it appears that the pattern matching between the collar and the back of the jacket is slightly off. I seem to recall a similar problem with your green tweed Rubinacci jacket, where the lines of the panes on the body didn't quite match the ones on the collar. Not sure if this is a maker specific problem or if it's just impossible to match patterns in a glen plaid jacket. Other members who are tailors might have a better opinion.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My guess is that since the back is two pieces at an agle and the collar one piece straight that it becomes nearly impossible to match the patterns there. I am not a big proponent of pattern matching. It is necessary on jacket fronts and shirt frons, but shoulders, collars etc don't figure into my equation. I would rather a good fitting jacket than patterns that matched for the hell of it.

pejsek

Reaction score
I'll go even farther than Matt on the pattern matching. I really actively dislike heroic attempts to get patterns to match up exactly everywhere and always. It's an attempt at control that invariably kills much of the charm of any garment. Can there be elegance without an element of deshabille? I would think not. Let the stripes fall where they may!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads