• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spacing Between Buttonholes

btraub

Reaction score
I just picked up three OTR new suits from a recommended tailor - whilst the minor alterations came out fine, the tailor put spaces between the working buttonholes wider than I have ever seen before. Aesthetically I think they draw attention and look a bit silly, but there is nothing I can do at this point. Not all that big of a deal, but I felt this amount of spacing went beyond the tailors latitude of personal touch.

Just wondering peoples thoughts on this... Am I overreacting?

Anyone living in Sydey - Tailor was Hasham in Parramatta, recommended by Charles Nakle (shirtmaker) - got both recommendations from this forum and/or AskAndy (cant remember which one).

raphael

Reaction score
Spacing is a little wide but ok. The bottom button, however, is far too close to the edge of the sleeve - it should be about 1 1/4 inches away from the edge.

If it is indeed 1 1/4 inches away from the sleeve, those buttons are spaced too far apart. I'd bring it back to the tailor and ask him what he was thinking.

penguin vic

Reaction score
I also personally find the buttons spaced far too wide apart and the first button is too close to the edge of the sleeve.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael
The bottom button, however, is far too close to the edge of the sleeve
+1

MTM

Reaction score
Bad bad job...There is no way now your tailor could fix it as the damage is done. I would be real mortified if I this happened to me. I feel your pain.

DandySF

Reaction score
This unfortunate outcome underscores the need to overcommunicate expectations up front. There are many instances when I wish I'd elaborated more completely about what I was hoping for. For instance, I had some buttons sewn on a jacket and knew I wanted them cross stitched. Instead, the threads ran in parallel rows. If only I'd dictated the details...

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
This unfortunate outcome underscores the need to overcommunicate expectations up front.

True. But that seems to me to be a particularly odd way of spacing buttons on a suit sleeve.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the spacing is a bit wide but not bad.
the bottom button is far too close to the sleeve bottom.
was the sleeve shortened after the buttonholes were made?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree that the spacing is all that bad. These days we're used to seeing waterfalling cascades of sleeve buttons, with anything not "kissing" just seen as bad. But it's not that bad, just maybe not the current fashion on modern Italian (in particular) jackets. Check out some traditional Savile Row jackets, and you see lots with gaps between the edges of the buttons. As for the outside button being too close to the cuff, I wouldn't put that too strongly either. It's certainly not far too close as some have opined, and there's nothing sacred about 1 1/4" from the cuff. In addition, I would ask those who state the 1 1/4" principle whether they mean to the middle of the button or the outer edge. My guess is that on this jacket, we might have 1" to the middle of the most distal button. Not a big deal...really! Nothing to lose any sleep over. I think that had I had the work done, I would have had the outermost button maybe 1/4" further in, but no one is going to notice the closeness to the edge of your cuff, and if this had been my jacket, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

In short, you are worrying far too much about this. It's not big deal, and your jacket sleeves are well within acceptable tolerances in terms of both issues you've noted. Stop worrying and enjoy the jacket!
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I would ask those who state the 1 1/4" principle whether they mean to the middle of the button or the outer edge.

Middle.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger

In short, you are worrying far too much about this. It's not big deal, and your jacket sleeves are well within acceptable tolerances in terms of both issues you've noted. Stop worrying and enjoy the jacket!
smile.gif

That kind of talk can get you into a lot of trouble on the internet.
devil.gif

btraub

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses. I am choosing to think Roger is the only one who knows what he is talking about
smile.gif

I am not quite over it yet, and will always have a reminder every time I wear any of these three suits, but being that there is absolutely nothing I can do about it I am coming around. They are beginning to look a bit more normal to me, and on a positive view of it - I have something slightly unique. If anyone has any pics of something with similar spacing, please share.

The question now is - when someone points it out to me (which will inevitably happen) do I say it was an accident and the tailor did a bad job in my opinion, etc... or explain that this was my stylistic choice? I'd love to say the latter, but not in my nature!
lol8[1].gif
It will be a good conversation starter nonetheless.

FormulaQ

Reaction score
i seriously misread this title as "spacing between buttholes" and thought it was a thread about that area.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads