• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soy sauce

Johnathan

Reaction score
A friend of mine recently told me that Kikkoman soy sauce is "terrible". Is there something I should know? Have I been eating the Old El Paso of soy sauces my entire life?

thewallychamp

Reaction score
I've just recently been sushi binging - and when a friend ordered some to my house but we ran out of soy sauce i found a bottle of Kikko in a cupboard.

I got to say when I tasted it I had to check for an expiration date (which there wasn't)

I'm going to venture and say its shite.. don't know of any good ones though.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan
A friend of mine recently told me that Kikkoman soy sauce is "terrible". Is there something I should know? Have I been eating the Old El Paso of soy sauces my entire life?
"**** Kikkoman."
laugh.gif
I like Yamasa better, and I'm not saying that just because I know the son of the owner. Okay, I am only saying it because of that. In reality, it's fermented soy, so there are different ways and tastes to each sauce, like any fermented beverage we enjoy. There are "microbrew" versions, but the key is finding one that works well with what you're going to eat, sort of like different scotches or gins, or one that goes with your palate. There are some that are more salty and some that are more sweet, and others that are pungent. They also can have different textures, I remember seeing one that was thick, like an aged balsamic vinegar.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
"**** Kikkoman."
laugh.gif
I like Yamasa better, and I'm not saying that just because I know the son of the owner. Okay, I am only saying it because of that. In reality, it's fermented soy, so there are different ways and tastes to each sauce, like any fermented beverage we enjoy. There are "microbrew" versions, but the key is finding one that works well with what you're going to eat, sort of like different scotches or gins, or one that goes with your palate. There are some that are more salty and some that are more sweet, and others that are pungent. They also can have different textures, I remember seeing one that was thick, like an aged balsamic vinegar.

Send me a free bottle and show me the light.
eh.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Once the sun comes out for an extended period of time (read: May) I'll be making my own soy sauce.
bigstar[1].gif

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the big majority of soy sauce consumed in Japan is koikuchi style shoyu, and the Kikkoman brewed in the US is pretty close in taste to the standard Japanese Kikkoman koikuchi. For most table/cooking use, Kikkoman is fine.

There are many styles of soy sauces, but a lot of them can be substituted for most uses. We use mostly San-J tamari soy sauce at my house due to wheat allergies, and I don't find the taste to be terribly different from koikuchi. On the other hand, I would not cook Hawaiian dishes with anything other than Aloha, nor would I be able to substitute tamari for Chinese dark soy sauce in something like Hainanese chicken rice.

wetnose

Reaction score
If you thought Kikkoman was bad, don't *ever* try La Choy...basically inedible.

tor

Reaction score
I just use Memmi instead of soy sauce. I think it's technically a kind of soy sauce, but it's more of a soup base kind of sauce. Just remember to mix it with water if you're going to use it; it's really salty when it's not watered down. It's also made by Kikkoman.
2226007645_021723bd66.jpg

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Once the sun comes out for an extended period of time (read: May) I'll be making my own soy sauce.
bigstar[1].gif

May? This is CA, son!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
May? This is CA, son!

I haven't yet spent a winter here, but from what I hear, you don't get very many two week long stretches of pure sunlight during the winter up here in NorCal.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We generally use Kikkoman shoyu but keep some Aloha for various things, like huli huli chicken.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Kikkokoman widely available is not really a good soy sauce, but it is used a lot even in Japanese households. The major brands like Kikkoman, Yamasa, etc. make various types of soy sauce. Usually the higher the price, the more natural it is, or they use better soy beans. Like sake, there are many micro breweries that come out with high quality soy sauce at a higher price.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
If you thought Kikkoman was bad, don't *ever* try La Choy...basically inedible.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads