1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Southwick suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by houston, Oct 2, 2004.

1. houston

houston Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with Southwick suits? The article below talks about how Kerry often wears that brand - Kerry's suits I also just ran across this on the website of a store in Charlottesville, VA. Looks like they do a MTM too. Eljo's has provided custom-designed clothing for many of the world's leading businessman and professionals for over 50 years. We will take over 30 different measurements so that your suit or sportcoat, or your custom trousers fits exactly like it would if you had it tailored on Saville Row in London or in Hong Kong. We offer over 2000 different fabrics including Super 120's Tasmanian, Cashmere, Linen, Gabardine, Irish Poplin, Real Shetland Wool, Harris Tweeds, Lamlana, and Cheviots. We have an exclusive relationship with W. Bill Ltd. of London, the finest piece goods mill in England. They have over 150 years of experience in the fabric business. Eljo's orders the fabric you choose from England with your exact measurements and then ships it to Massachusetts to be sewn by Southwick Clothing. Eljo's is proud to be Southwick's second largest custom account in the world. This entire process takes between four and six weeks and is absolutely non-binding. If you don't like the way that your custom garment turns out we will send it back ... no questions asked.

2. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

An mainstay American brand. Styling has improved in recent years, but construction has not - they now use a light fusable (fused front.)

3. bestmastertailor

bestmastertailor Well-Known Member

I am very familiar with Southwick as they make my "Leighton" collection for me. It is a cleanly made natural shoulder garment. Southwick uses a "mezzo di mezzo" make (half & half): lightfusible fronts with a machine padded half canvas (like Armani Collezione) and handwork on the collars (also padded) and armholes. I have had nothing but great garments come out of there facillty and Southwick is so much better tailored than Hart, Schaffner Marx, Coppley, Hickey's Ltd. Line, Burberry, Hartz & Company, Jack Victor and all the other mid-tier garments. I retail these made-to-measure garments from $698.00 to $998.00 in my shop and sell around 5 to 8 a week.

4. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

I asked Southwick once (a year or so ago?) about the fusing -- and they said they don't fuse their lapels or anything else, but obviously this is wrong.

I have old Southwick suits that I really like, esp. the MTM's.

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Distinguished Member

There were some Southwicks in the Towson, MD, Filene's Basement last week. Didn't seem too great to me, but I was not shopping for a suit.

The styling was boxy, the fabrics were very conservative, gray nailheads etc... Some of these could've been old, the tags were different from model to model. I don't recall the prices. Mostly larger sizes, 44, 46, I think a few 50s.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: I spose these OTRs weren't up to the MTM standards.

6. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

Southwick suits are always available in Filene's Basement in the DC area. The fabrics are quite conservative that I've seen. In general, I think you can do much worse than Southwick.

About 4 years ago, I bought a heavy cotton Southwick suit in a dark beige. It's a nice suit. The slacks in particular have a nice line (single pleat). I think I paid btw. $250-300 for it (the discounted Filene's price).

7. Cordovan

Cordovan Senior Member

Does anyone have any recent info about Southwick?

I bought a Southwick sportcoat yesterday at Brooks Bros. They said something like: Southwick is or shares their factory and similar quality. Nobody I asked could give me a clear answer, but it seems that BB bought SW recently.

Thanks,

Cordovan

8. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Stylish Dinosaur

I thought about getting a Southwick 3 piece "Sample" from the BB sale yesterday. I didn't try on the pants but the jacket fit very well. I was impressed that it was a fairly modern cut and fit my athletic body pretty well (8"-9" drop). The only issue was that it's a brown flannel with wide spaced olive chalk stripes. If I were a teacher or professor I'd be all over it! Sadly, I don't think that suit would be appropriate for me at work...sure was nice for $300 though.

9. kingyouth

kingyouth Active Member

Does anyone have any recent info about Southwick?

I bought a Southwick sportcoat yesterday at Brooks Bros. They said something like: Southwick is or shares their factory and similar quality. Nobody I asked could give me a clear answer, but it seems that BB bought SW recently.

Thanks,

Cordovan

BB did buy Southwick last year. BB was Southwick's biggest partner before the acquisition. Most off BB's suits are made by Southwick.