Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Southwick MTM @ Costco

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rezzor, Oct 10, 2010.

1. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

There are so many points at which this could go wrong. Even if the machine takes accurate measurements, who interprets them? If you have a knowledgeable and skilled salesperson or tailor taking measurements for a MTM item, they translate what you want into numbers. If there's no similar filter here, how is this much different than an OTR suit whose configuration you're able to specify? I could see the fit being inferior to OTR in a worst case scenario.

2. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Southwick MTM huh? We're still waiting on those Woodlore Epic style shoe trees to show up around here.

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I sure hope this scanning technology has improved over the years. About 10 years ago, I purchased two suits using the exact same process from Brooks' Digital Tailoring offering. They were shit.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Digitization will advance f00fing to levels not seen for two centuries.

Maybe three.

- B

5. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I sure hope this scanning technology has improved over the years. About 10 years ago, I purchased two suits using the exact same process from Brooks' Digital Tailoring offering. They were shit.

I've heard this as well.

It would be awesome if they could perfect this technology sometime in the distant future... what would be even cooler is if they could get a robot to assemble and mold some sort of suiting fabric to conform exactly to the digital record of the body scan, then account for drape, etc ...get a perfect-fitting suit in maybe less than a day.

6. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I've heard this as well.

It would be awesome if they could perfect this technology sometime in the distant future... what would be even cooler is if they could get a robot to assemble and mold some sort of suiting fabric to conform exactly to the digital record of the body scan, then account for drape, etc ...get a perfect-fitting suit in maybe less than a day.

Though eventually the robots would become self-aware and turn against us. And that would be a major problem.

7. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I thought the WSJ did a story on these scanners years ago and IIRC it was not that accurate. But then it was a few years ago.

I was talking with one of the regional directors of BB's MTM operation a couple years ago, and I asked him about the Digital Tailoring program. He said, "It'd be great...if we were selling wetsuits."

8. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

But at least they would be well dressed robots.

I'd guess they are testing this in Issaquah to see how it goes. Costco tends to test a lot of stuff near their HQ before rolling it out in other stores.

9. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I've heard this as well.

Then it wouldn't have high-armholes.[​IMG]

10. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

which divot option did you select?

11. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

I predict a steady increase in interest/anticipation with a sudden drop to somewhat disappointing reality once the suit comes in.
    In any case, I'm crossing my fingers and am looking forward to pics [​IMG]

12. rezzor

rezzor Senior member

Yes, it's about managing expectations. I bought a suit at Costco, I'm not expecting a masterpiece just a wearable quality suit. I liked the quality of samples I saw there and the knowlageable sales guy so I gave it a try. Southwick in my opinion puts out a decent product and a good value at the Costco price.
    One thing I've learned from sf is that mtm/bespoke has a risk for going wrong at any level.

13. Chips

Chips Senior member

I predict a steady increase in interest/anticipation with a sudden drop to somewhat disappointing reality once the suit comes in.
    In any case, I'm crossing my fingers and am looking forward to pics [​IMG]

+1

14. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Senior member

Is Costco trying to be a lifestyle brand? There used to be a pants brand, hat brand, underwear brand...now they all want to be a lifestyle brand. Why is specialization such a taboo? That said, I've always been a fan of their Zenith/Tag Heuer jewelry display case.

15. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

Is Costco trying to be a lifestyle brand? There used to be a pants brand, hat brand, underwear brand...now they all want to be a lifestyle brand. Why is specialization such a taboo? That said, I've always been a fan of their Zenith/Tag Heuer jewelry display case.

What? I'm not sure I follow you.

It's a publicly-traded warehouse club. They are expected to grow their business and earn returns for their shareholders.