• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Southwick for BB: Canvassed?

jubei

Reaction score
I just picked up a 3/2 darted suit from the BB warehouse sale... to my surprise, it fit like a dream. Just as good (if not better) than the BF stuff they also had there (alas, not in my size). The fabric was beautiful, too, so it was an easy purchase.

What struck me as unusual was that it was being sold under the Southwick label. Does anyone have any more info on this? Is this a recent thing? And does anyone know if their suits are canvassed or not? If it helps the style was marked as a Princeton 3b

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many people on these fora have indicated that Southwick, while a good suit, no longer produces anything full canvas. To get full canvas at Brooks you have to go with the Golden or Black Fleece lines.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Many people on these fora have indicated that Southwick, while a good suit, no longer produces anything full canvas. To get full canvas at Brooks you have to go with the Golden or Black Fleece lines.

I am sure new BF suits made by Southwick are full canvass.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have the suit in your hands - you should be telling us whether it's canvassed or not !
wink.gif

As a data point, only Southwick I've owned was fused

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I am sure new BF suits made by Southwick are full canvass.

I didn't realize Southwick did the BF suits. The BF I've seen was indeed full canvas. I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by gdl203
You have the suit in your hands - you should be telling us whether it's canvassed or not !
wink.gif

+1

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
I didn't realize Southwick did the BF suits. The BF I've seen was indeed full canvas. I stand corrected.
Do you mean the Black Fleece from the warehouse sale? That is from 2007 and was made in Italy. I would assume the new made in the US stuff is still full canvas.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I would assume the new made in the US stuff is still full canvas.
My assumption, too. I'll see the line in a couple of weeks and I'm counting on it being full canvas.

1wb

Reaction score
Are y'all sure that the new Made In USA BF are by Southwick? I may well be wrong, but I would find it surprising that BB purchased Southwick, which has specialized for years now in making a 1/2 canvas suit, and in addition to building a new manufacturing facility based on Southwick's core business, also had them start making an entirely different construction of suits. Not for nothing, but the $1600 price point = GF by Greenfield (whose core business is full canvas suits for BB).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know for sure who makes the suits but I'll try to find out on my next visit to BB. I am anxious to see the suits, and hope I won't be disappointed at the quality.

David Watts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
wink.gif

FWIW, I own four suits plus one blazer by Southwick for Cable Car Clothiers. And by using the methods described here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=65638 One, a glen plaid summer suit with machine wash instructions, appears to be half (above the bottom buttonhole) canvassed. The navy worsted, gray flannel, brown houndstooth/windowpane, and navy blazer are full (below the bottom buttonhole) canvassed. All of the lapels seem to be fused, but I'm still unsure on that point. When I have some free time, I may compare the above thread with these two: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=86160 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=139199
cry.gif

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Do you mean the Black Fleece from the warehouse sale? That is from 2007 and was made in Italy.

I would assume the new made in the US stuff is still full canvas.

Who made the BBBF made in italy stuff?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Who made the BBBF made in italy stuff?

Caruso.

Oxxford makes TB's suits now, correct?

Sidney Reilly

Reaction score
I have been in Southwick's Houston distribution stores for their MTM suits and sportcoats for some time now, (2013-2014) and I can assure you their suits and sport coats are not only fully canvassed in their custom MTM lines, but also, they will copy the design of any Italian suit maker which you might like, instead of staying with their 7-8 models. I prefer no darts, pick stitching, patch pockets on both the breast and sides, and no vent. They have come through 100% of the time. I also prefer to have surgeon cuffs (i.e. functional 4 button cuffs, which they charge just a little more than Samuelsohn, but they have a larger selection of choices for the buttons you can choose from to go on either the suit or sport coat).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads