Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Southwick for BB: Canvassed?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jubei, Sep 15, 2009.

1. jubei

jubei Well-Known Member

I just picked up a 3/2 darted suit from the BB warehouse sale... to my surprise, it fit like a dream. Just as good (if not better) than the BF stuff they also had there (alas, not in my size). The fabric was beautiful, too, so it was an easy purchase.

What struck me as unusual was that it was being sold under the Southwick label. Does anyone have any more info on this? Is this a recent thing? And does anyone know if their suits are canvassed or not? If it helps the style was marked as a Princeton 3b

2. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

Many people on these fora have indicated that Southwick, while a good suit, no longer produces anything full canvas. To get full canvas at Brooks you have to go with the Golden or Black Fleece lines.

3. forex

forex Senior member

Many people on these fora have indicated that Southwick, while a good suit, no longer produces anything full canvas. To get full canvas at Brooks you have to go with the Golden or Black Fleece lines.

I am sure new BF suits made by Southwick are full canvass.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You have the suit in your hands - you should be telling us whether it's canvassed or not ! [​IMG]

As a data point, only Southwick I've owned was fused

5. 518aata

518aata Senior member

About 10-15 years ago, I bought three Southwick suits MTM from Mark Shale. I'm pretty certain they were fully canvassed. I believe Southwick's move away from fully canvassed suits happened since then.

6. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

I am sure new BF suits made by Southwick are full canvass.

I didn't realize Southwick did the BF suits. The BF I've seen was indeed full canvas. I stand corrected.

You have the suit in your hands - you should be telling us whether it's canvassed or not ! [​IMG]

As a data point, only Southwick I've owned was fused

+1

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I didn't realize Southwick did the BF suits. The BF I've seen was indeed full canvas. I stand corrected.
    Do you mean the Black Fleece from the warehouse sale? That is from 2007 and was made in Italy. I would assume the new made in the US stuff is still full canvas.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I would assume the new made in the US stuff is still full canvas.
    My assumption, too. I'll see the line in a couple of weeks and I'm counting on it being full canvas.

9. 1wb

1wb Senior member

Are y'all sure that the new Made In USA BF are by Southwick? I may well be wrong, but I would find it surprising that BB purchased Southwick, which has specialized for years now in making a 1/2 canvas suit, and in addition to building a new manufacturing facility based on Southwick's core business, also had them start making an entirely different construction of suits. Not for nothing, but the $1600 price point = GF by Greenfield (whose core business is full canvas suits for BB).

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I don't know for sure who makes the suits but I'll try to find out on my next visit to BB. I am anxious to see the suits, and hope I won't be disappointed at the quality.

11. David Watts

David Watts Senior member

You have the suit in your hands - you should be telling us whether it's canvassed or not ! [​IMG] As a data point, only Southwick I've owned was fused
    FWIW, I own four suits plus one blazer by Southwick for Cable Car Clothiers. And by using the methods described here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=65638 One, a glen plaid summer suit with machine wash instructions, appears to be half (above the bottom buttonhole) canvassed. The navy worsted, gray flannel, brown houndstooth/windowpane, and navy blazer are full (below the bottom buttonhole) canvassed. All of the lapels seem to be fused, but I'm still unsure on that point. When I have some free time, I may compare the above thread with these two: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=86160 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=139199 [​IMG]

12. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

Do you mean the Black Fleece from the warehouse sale? That is from 2007 and was made in Italy.

I would assume the new made in the US stuff is still full canvas.

Who made the BBBF made in italy stuff?

13. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Who made the BBBF made in italy stuff?

Caruso.

Oxxford makes TB's suits now, correct?

14. Sidney Reilly

Sidney Reilly New Member

I have been in Southwick's Houston distribution stores for their MTM suits and sportcoats for some time now, (2013-2014) and I can assure you their suits and sport coats are not only fully canvassed in their custom MTM lines, but also, they will copy the design of any Italian suit maker which you might like, instead of staying with their 7-8 models. I prefer no darts, pick stitching, patch pockets on both the breast and sides, and no vent. They have come through 100% of the time. I also prefer to have surgeon cuffs (i.e. functional 4 button cuffs, which they charge just a little more than Samuelsohn, but they have a larger selection of choices for the buttons you can choose from to go on either the suit or sport coat).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014