• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Southland (NBC/TNT)

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
I have a feeling the next 2-3 episodes are going to center around cracking some serious skullage on the streets of LA.

They practically turned the city upside down looking for a cop's gun a season or two ago...I can't imagine what they're going to do now that...
Nate was brutally murdered

I'm still a little fuzzy on what the motive was for doing that. I know it goes back to getting the witness to testify, but ultimately it was her that made the decision. Did she testify and then go back to her (obviously gang affiliated) boyfriend and say "it wasn't me! It was the cop that made me do it!"

nate decided that playing a gay nurse/witchdoctor on true blood was a better gig.

seriously though that was a curveball... we all wanted that micks crazy wife to die and was hoping she at lost the baby (from the beginning).

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Definitely. There are a couple times when the situation/location don't make sense (the bank shootout on Hollywood & Ivar was actually a shootout in front of the Scientology center...haha), but for the most part, when the setting requires them to be in gang infested South Central, they're in gang infested south central.

Even simple things like the standoff with the guy on PCP yesterday...that was shot right under the Gold Line on Alameda in China Town. The next scene when they're getting on the freeway after the standoff is the Alameda on-ramp to the 101...it's so spot on, I'm starting to wonder if they have a continuity/authenticity consultant making sure it's done right.

Oh, and they ate at 7 Mares after that
inlove.gif
Even the ghetto cop food spots are on point.

Yes, it's the best depiction of the geography and neigborhoods of LA I've ever seen in a TV show - better than The Shield even, which was the old gold standard. And El 7 - one of my favorite spots.

Originally Posted by LawrenceMD

plus (spoiler alert) it takes after The Wire where it has no mercy on the main characters... as evidenced by last nights episode.

What an intense scene - totally drained me. My first thought was that it was just like The Wire to do that to a central character. They did the same thing at the end of the first season.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Damnit you F***ers. Now I've got to download and watch this ****.

2nd season and new episodes all on tnt.com i think.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night's episode was good. I think Sammy has become my absolute favorite TV character not named Don Draper. That showdown at the spot where Nate was killed was ******* INTENSE.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That showdown at the spot where Nate was killed was ******* INTENSE.

That was a really intense scene.

Anybody think the gang might go after Sammy (e.g. gunning for Nate's family)? He's acting really reckless.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
That was a really intense scene.

Anybody think the gang might go after Sammy (e.g. gunning for Nate's family)? He's acting really reckless.

This season has been really good so far.

Sammy finding out that baby is his own ...I wonder if that will change his behavior. Hopefully he just sits around babysitting Nate's family..because his wife is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

His character has definitely developed this season with nate's passing and his family troubles.

FozzyBadfeet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ibleedwhite
This season has been really good so far.

Sammy finding out that baby is his own ...I wonder if that will change his behavior. Hopefully he just sits around babysitting Nate's family..because his wife is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

His character has definitely developed this season with nate's passing and his family troubles.

I didn't like Sammy during the first two seasons...But so far this season, I like how they developed his character as well.

I was in awe at the scene where Nate died.

This is probably one of my favorite shows and it's sad that NBC took it off their network...Glad TNT picked it up and hopefully it continues to have a greater following.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FozzyBadfeet
This is probably one of my favorite shows and it's sad that NBC took it off their network...Glad TNT picked it up and hopefully it continues to have a greater following.

I don't think it's sad as much as stupid on NBC's part.

They never should've let it go.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Even more marsupialed when you consider they cancelled it to make room for Jay Leno's stupid 10PM not-a-talkshow talkshow.

I was kind of disappointed to see next week's preview. I just do NOT care about Dewey and the girl cop. The show needs to be Lydia, Sammy, and the 2 partners...that's it!

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
I don't think it's sad as much as stupid on NBC's part. They never should've let it go.
plus there wouldn't of been ass shots - decapitated woman in a thong ass, and gay man after sex ass... but still. also the swearing is nice too. the original nbc incarnation of the show did have the same intensity though so nekkidness and swearing isn't a prerequisite - i guess super graphic violence is the only prerequisite for that. i just hate (actually love but it sucks) that they always show the collateral damage of the murders and crimes by always showing super cute/sad kids of the crimes and have them there looking sad and damaged - this show really tugs at the heartstrings when they juxtapose superviolent crime with cute kid now orphaned/murdered/ect. when ben held his hand out for the toddler at the dead body call, and the kid put his little hand out into ben's i was welling up, my wife was in full tears flowing mode.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FozzyBadfeet
I didn't like Sammy during the first two seasons...But so far this season, I like how they developed his character as well.

I was in awe at the scene where Nate died.

Yeah since they have on TNT, i think they can push a little further on ratings compared to NBC which is fine with me.

As long as there is good writing..this show can keep going..I mean you have the detectives, the young cop from OC or w/e.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Even more marsupialed when you consider they cancelled it to make room for Jay Leno's stupid 10PM not-a-talkshow talkshow.

I was kind of disappointed to see next week's preview. I just do NOT care about Dewey and the girl cop. The show needs to be Lydia, Sammy, and the 2 partners...that's it!

with any luck it will be the end of dewey.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by limping_decorum
with any luck it will be the end of dewey.

Who is dewey? That detective who is recovering from being shot a season ago?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads