1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Southern Food Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by edinatlanta, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

I really don't know much about Southern Food. I had a coworker that always talked about greens, and I know a girl (incidentally, she talks really funny when she is drunk) that talked about fried chicken, but that is about all.

I've had grits a few times when driving through southern states. I wasn't very impressed, pretty bland IMO.

How about some kind of guide to Southern Food and what to look for and how to make some basic things?

2. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

How about some kind of guide to Southern Food and what to look for and how to make some basic things?

If it's battered and fried eat it.

3. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I think the strongest facet of the South's regional identity IS the food. I love it.

4. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

If it's battered and fried eat it.

I can get battered and fried things here, and they aren't "Southern US" style (much further south actually).

Hell, I had tempura the other day, that is battered and fried, and it isn't Southern US style.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Cornmeal crusted catfish (whole) with pickled green tomatoes.

Purple hull peas with a side of white rice and cucumber relish.

Edit: Also stone-ground cornbread with room temperature butter that has been mixed with honey 'til it's silken.

Buttermilk pie

Peach or blackberry cobbler.

Pecan pie

Mayhaw jelly with biscuits right out of the oven.

6. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

the South is really something. I love the South.

Food is phenomenal
    Women folks are hot and pure eye candy
    Land is plentiful and beautiful

7. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

if you are ever in chapel hill

http://www.mamadips.com/

I grew up in the Triangle and went to school in Durham. Mama Dip's is awesome.

8. Nil

Nil Senior member

Besides soul food, I've had zero experience with southern food.

Well, I suppose I ate at Cracker Barrel once but I imagine that does not count. At least I hope it doesn't.

9. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    Southern cooking sucks. It is impossible to get a decent hot meal in the South. Since when do poor white trash and blacks produce good food?

If there's any reason to live in the North and/or the Pacific coast, it's because you can eat well.

Take Washington, DC. Were it not for Asians and Hispanics and a few other ethnic groups, it would be a culinary wasteland. It used to be you had to go north -- Baltimore -- for decent food. Go south -- Richmond -- and everything's fried.

This thread is mind-boggling. There are normal people who like Southern cooking? Who knew?

10. MrG

MrG Senior member

Southern cooking sucks. It is impossible to get a decent hot meal in the South. Since when do poor white trash and blacks produce good food?

If there's any reason to live in the North and/or the Pacific coast, it's because you can eat well.

Take Washington, DC. Were it not for Asians and Hispanics and a few other ethnic groups, it would be a culinary wasteland. It used to be you had to go north -- Baltimore -- for decent food. Go south -- Richmond -- and everything's fried.

This thread is mind-boggling. There are normal people who like Southern cooking? Who knew?

That is truly remarkable, you managed to stereotype almost half a dozen ethnicities in a single post.

For the record I'm normal and white, but I'm not poor or trash. Southern food is probably my favorite regional cuisine; if not my favorite cuisine overall. There is certainly some awful food that is produced under the label "southern," but there is also some amazing stuff.

11. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

There is certainly some awful food that is produced under the label "southern," but there is also some amazing stuff.
    cf. Cracker Barrel, above.

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

GTFO of this thread. [​IMG]

13. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

+1. Twat

Chicken Fried Steak
    Corn Bread
    Mashed Potatos & Gravy
    Biscuits and Sawmill Gravy
    Pecan Pie
    Sweet Tea with tons of cracked ice

K

14. Tardek

Tardek Senior member

I was in the southern US for independence day two years ago, and was entertained by a good ol' black southern family who fed me mac and cheese, fried chicken, and other assorted goodies.

It was fantastic. I love the south.

1 person likes this.
  15. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia

Sorry, but when I joined SF, I promised to tell the truth.

The truth about Southern cuisine is that it's nothing but deep-fried crap.

And I'm saying that as someone whose family arrived in Virginia in the 1630s and has been in the South ever since.

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

And I'm saying that as someone whose family arrived in Virginia in the 1630s and has been in the South ever since.

I love Southern cooking. YMMV.

17. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

Hey, so did I. You're a bigot.

18. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

Hey, so did I. You're a bigot.

Possibly a bigot, but he does claim to come from/reside in McLean, VA and Santa Monica, CA, the douche capital of the East and West Coast respectively.

19. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I love southern food. I stayed for for 3 months once in Atlanta, I must have put on 20 pounds.

20. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Who did you promise this to?

So tell us more about your ostracism.