Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Southern accents & the Northeast

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Nov 14, 2008.

1. randallr

randallr Senior member

Yes, I fail to see the humor also.

2. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

I subconsciously dislike the working-class white New Jersey/New York accent. But I try to consciously correct for this prejudice.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Bostonians have an annoying accent, very true. But large swaths of the Northeast are accent-neutral. Vermont, New Hampshire, New York (aside from NYC).

We are superior!

WTF? Are you kidding? New Hampshire natives have a very distinct accent, I should know.. [​IMG]

4. SField

SField Senior member

Bostonians have an annoying accent, very true. But large swaths of the Northeast are accent-neutral. Vermont, New Hampshire, New York (aside from NYC).

We are superior!

Aren't you from poor people new york? (aka not Manhattan)?

People from upstate NY have some of the most god awful, disgusting accents. A southern drawl can at least be melodious and endearing in the same way we love a cute but dumb dog. Someone from Buffalo or Rochester just sounds like some dog who shits all over himself and slobbers everywhere.

5. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Aren't you from poor people new york? (aka not Manhattan)? People from upstate NY have some of the most god awful, disgusting accents. A southern drawl can at least be melodious and endearing in the same way we love a cute but dumb dog. Someone from Buffalo or Rochester just sounds like some dog who shits all over himself and slobbers everywhere.
    Hello to you too shitbag! There is no Albany accent.

6. B1FF

B1FF Senior member

Pretty much all immigrants, French speaking Canadians, and people from the Atlantic provinces have to take accent-normalizing classes if they want to be employed in western Canada.

Someone had better let Fort McMurray know about this.

7. bearlydavid

bearlydavid Senior member

I think when you are talking about southern accents, it is mainly the rural areas.

The Dallas Fort Worth area does not really have an accent.

8. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

I work with a russian girl that moved from Russia to New Joooiizzy for many years, then down here to Georgia. Jesus, what a mindfuck it is to talk to her.

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I kinda like some southern accents and I have fond memories of a cheerleader from virginia.

10. X-It

X-It Senior member

^I sure hope the Dutch aren't planning to stimulate their economy by infiltrating on the "Southern Accent Humor" market.

I think you guys ought to stick with your windmills and your wooden shoes.

Lets see what Obama can do about it, huh?

Yes, I fail to see the humor also.

Oops! [​IMG]

11. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Lets see what Obama can do about it, huh? :
    I was kidding... but really, southern people don't talk like that, so it seems one of those jokes that are funny only to people who've never actually spent any time in the South. [​IMG] Had you used some things we actually DO say, like instead of "I'm preparing to" we say, "I'm a-fixin' to start..." or instead of "soon" we say "d'reckly" and we say "dinner" for lunch and "supper" for dinner... then it might have been more apt.

12. bearlydavid

bearlydavid Senior member

I was kidding... but really, southern people don't talk like that, so it seems one of those jokes that are funny only to people who've never actually spent any time in the South. [​IMG] Had you used some things we actually DO say, like instead of "I'm preparing to" we say, "I'm a-fixin' to start..." or instead of "soon" we say "d'reckly" and we say "dinner" for lunch and "supper" for dinner... then it might have been more apt.
    Yeah that is the kind of things I hear in Texas, as well as Howdy and yall.

13. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Yeah that is the kind of things I hear in Texas, as well as Howdy and yall.
    True story about my parents; they moved to KY from MI before I was born and were invited soon thereafter to "dinner" at a neighbors house. They planned their day to be ready for "dinner," which would be about 6:00. About 12:30 or so in the afternoon they got a call wondering WHERE they were. "It's time for dinner!" the neighbors said. My parents quickly had to adjust their lingo...

14. Spilotro

Spilotro Senior member

15. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I didn't feel like reading the whole thread, but since when is Midwest accent considered "normal/standard"? It certainly is not, in my opinion.

National newscasts are entirely done by anchors who speak in a Non-Boston New England / Manhattan accent (in my opinion, no accent). There is no NY accent - there is a Staten Island accent, and a Brooklyn accent (dying out fast), and maybe a Queens accent, I'm not sure. But Manhattanites generally speak just like anchors.

Midwesterners have more twang and definitely mannerisms/expressions that I do not hear on newscasts. Just my observations.