• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Southeast Asia Trip (Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh, Hong Kong)

MikeF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by roadie2
Which tailors in Ho Chi Minh did you use? Any recommendations?

I agree that Chan would be the best option but I just can't afford to spend $1,000 on a suit and doubt he can turnaround a quality product in 4 days.

I can't recall the name of the only one I would even think about recommending, but it was the "best" tailor in HCMC as recommended on this forum, and for that matter by the concierge at the Sheraton Saigon.

Unless you are difficult to fit, or just want to be able to say that you have a custom-made suit, you will get better value by buying an OTR suit on eBay or here than by getting one made in HCMC.

WW Chan may be able to give you an initial fitting within four days and then ship your finished suit to you a few weeks later. Patrick Chu (the main fitter) is so good at what he does that it is quite possible to skip the initial fitting, although I concede that you would have one in an ideal world.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good info so far

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MikeF;3843338 said:
Here is my advice, having tried tailoring in all three cities.

3. If you are really adventurous, consider visiting Louhu Commercial City (a giant mall, mostly filled with counterfeit goods) in Shenzhen, just across the border from Hong Kong. It would be a day-trip. There you will find a whole floor devoted to a giant fabric market and about 100 tailors. I would never get a suit made here, but I have had good luck getting outerwear and pants made or copied at low cost, then delivered to my hotel in Hong Kong. You might be able to get similar work done in HCMC at an even lower cost, but fabric selection in Vietnam is very poor, and certainly not as good as what you will find available in Shenzhen. My only caution here is that you will need to spell out everything you want in terms of construction, design, etc. If you specify something, it will be done. If, however, you give no specification, you will receive the cheapest possible option]

That area is not what it used to be. the area from the train station and the mall is filled scammers, thieves and everything else in between. You will be shot, stabbed and gang-raped within 5 minutes if you're not careful and not necessarily in that order. I would avoid altogether.

Which tailors in Ho Chi Minh did you use? Any recommendations?

I agree that Chan would be the best option but I just can't afford to spend $1,000 on a suit and doubt he can turnaround a quality product in 4 days.

Chan could turn around a suit in 4 days.

roadie2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeF
I can't recall the name of the only one I would even think about recommending, but it was the "best" tailor in HCMC as recommended on this forum, and for that matter by the concierge at the Sheraton Saigon.

Unless you are difficult to fit, or just want to be able to say that you have a custom-made suit, you will get better value by buying an OTR suit on eBay or here than by getting one made in HCMC.

WW Chan may be able to give you an initial fitting within four days and then ship your finished suit to you a few weeks later. Patrick Chu (the main fitter) is so good at what he does that it is quite possible to skip the initial fitting, although I concede that you would have one in an ideal world.

Is the HCMC tailor named Dung? The best ones I've heard (in order of quality) are Dung, Tricia and Verona, Caoh Minh, Caoh Vinh.... I think the issue with Dung is that he can't turnaround a suit quickly enough to have multiple fittings...

MikeF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
That area is not what it used to be. the area from the train station and the mall is filled scammers, thieves and everything else in between. You will be shot, stabbed and gang-raped within 5 minutes if you're not careful and not necessarily in that order. I would avoid altogether.
I visit there often and was last there only a couple of months ago. It's not that bad provided that you keep your wits about you. I've never come close to being shot, stabbed or gang-raped, although it is frustrating to be chased for blocks by touts.

Is the HCMC tailor named Dung? The best ones I've heard (in order of quality) are Dung, Tricia and Verona, Caoh Minh, Caoh Vinh.... I think the issue with Dung is that he can't turnaround a suit quickly enough to have multiple fittings...
Yes, it was Dung and, yes, it was slow. Not that impressive, and not that cheap.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can't speak for HCMC, but avoid Bkk. Get all your stuff in HK (chan, ascot chang, yao, etc).

Simon4rings

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I believe that Peter Lee of Kay Baron will fit your needs.

Caveat emptor:

The "Peter Lee" which most folks on SF talk about refer to Lee Baron Tailor, which is in Far East Mansion Arcade on Middle Road opp. Sheraton Hotel. Kay Baron, on the other hand, is another outfit at Mody Road, a 5 minutes walk away.

I wonder how many customers have ended up ordering at the wrong tailor.
teacha.gif

roadie2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
William Cheng and son carry loro piana fabrics and have seen some great stuff made by them. I will surley visit them the next time I go to HK.

What is the price point on Cheng?

mrclam

Reaction score
What is the price point on Cheng?
Long time lurker, but first time poster here.

I had a 2piece suit and 2 shirts made by Cheng.

The suit was $350 US, and the shirts were something like $35. I've also recently gotten a couple shirts made by jantzen, and so far, i prefer the fit and fabric from jantzen much better. The cheng shirts are extremely tight and do not feel comfortable, and seem to wrinkle very quickly. Definitely quicker/easier than my jantzen shirts, not sure if this is due to the fit or cloth. I told Cheng that I wanted waist suppression in the shirts, but my OTR shirts from hugo boss, H&M, and the local hk crocodile shop all did a better job.

As for the suit, I'm getting some bubbling in the cloth, and the suit really doesn't fit well....I'm new to the mtm/bespoke stuff, so I'm not sure what the right terminology is, but I'll try.

I asked Cheng for a fitted suit, but not a slim look. The pants that I got from him were maybe about the right size in the thighs, but tapered off into a much too narrow bottom half for my taste. The size of the coat on top of the pants makes the suit look really out of proportion. The lapels on the coat do not rest flat on my chest, and the waist suppression looks terrible from behind, and is barely noticeable from the front.(cloth looks like its being pulled in various directions) The cloth was a super 120s cloth called "royaltex," I think its a fabric from either china or india. I've heard that Cheng carries high end cloths, and I'm not sure if my experience was simply due to me not expressing clearly enough what I wanted, but I plan to try Peter Lee next, and eventually Chan when the time is right.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In HK, I only have experience with Peter Lee, but it is a good experience.

mjbek03

Reaction score
Hi roadie, did you end up getting anything made in HCMC? I'm in Vietnam now and I'm trying to find out which tailors in HCMC I should look into. I'll be in the city for about two weeks. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads