• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

south korea

joelmthw

Reaction score
well i got an internship in south korea from august to december and i decided to accept the offer. so now i must decide how to get there and what to bring, etc. i have never been to south korea so i am going to need all the help i can get. questions:

airline to take? im planning on going from atl to san fran and then idk, singapore air? korean air? anyone have experience with these?

anything that i must bring from the usa that i can not get there? also, i will probably buy some tailored suits if they arent too expensive over there. any recommendations?

any help or tips are appreciated. thanks sf!

ennui

Reaction score
I have had only positive experiences with Singapore Air.

South Korea is a modern country. Even if you cannot find the exact thing you seek over there, you will oftentimes be able to find something similar. e.g. "Chilsung Cider" (seven stars) instead of 7-Up.

joelmthw

Reaction score
preciate the tip about singapore air

ive heard whey protein is really hard to find there and i should bring it over? fact or fiction?

tjchung

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joelmthw

ive heard whey protein is really hard to find there and i should bring it over? fact or fiction?

There are GNC's all over the place in Seoul, the capital. Not too sure about the other cities. Pusan, the second largest has all the modern amenities you'd expect, just like Seoul.

The price is a bit higher, but Korean Air has always been my favorite airline for traveling to the home country. The planes are all modern with up-to-date personal entertainment systems (even in coach), the food is great and you don't see the middle aged, over bearing, troll-like flight attendants that are so common in other airlines. Plus I hear almost all Korean Airlines pilots are ex Korean airforce fighter jocks. The only time a Korean Airlines jet crashed was when it was shot down by the Russians.

Drakkar Jaune

Reaction score
Voltage converters!

Drakkar Jaune

Reaction score
Also, most of my trips there as of late have been through Korean Air. As the poster above mentioned, even coach is a good time with the in-flight entertainment. I usually end up catching a few movies (a couple of weeks ago they had How To Train Your Dragon, Crazy Heart, and Youth In Revolt), listening to some music (they've got old and somewhat new), and playing a ****-ton of blackjack...

4737435026_3b3920b129.jpg

The inflight entertainment screen also has a USB port which I used to keep my iPhone charged, fwiw.

joelmthw

Reaction score
korean air it is! anything else i should look out for to bring? any recommendations on tailors? im looking to buy some tailored shirts

Brian SD

Reaction score
Best tailor I've encountered is Goche in Apgujeong. They have a range of fabrics. If you opt for the nicer Italian fabric they give you some thick as **** MOP buttons.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joelmthw

Yes, but I used to live on Jeju, an island of the south east coast. In Seoul, you can probably find it relatively easily.

KAL is a great airline, recommend them.

thiefclothes

Reaction score
Try Asiana Airlines, its also a flag carrier for South Korea. They also won the Skytrax 2010 Airline of the year award.

Things that are hard to find in korea, Deoderant, Ranch Dressing and Real Mexican FOOD!!!

Enjoy korea!!
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

joelmthw

Reaction score
actually flying korean air

thanks for the tips, ill be bringing plenty of old spice lol

Prestwich

Reaction score
I'm a Brit who spends lots of time in South Korea - I love the place. If you don't know it already, the food in particular is wonderful. As for tailors, there a few decent high-end places in the basement of the Lotte Dept Store near City Hall in Seoul and a couple of decent cheaper places in Itaewan - consensus seems to be that Hahn Tailor is the best (near the US Army base). I used them for a few shirts, and they're unremarkable but fine. Enjoy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads