South Asia Trip Help!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by funk_soul_brother, Oct 4, 2006.

1. funk_soul_brother

funk_soul_brother Senior member

Hey everyone,

I'm leaving on Tuesday to do a trip through South Asia.

I've got 54 days to travel, so there's plenty of time to see many things, I hope.

I'm flying into Bangkok and I'll stay there for a few days, then move on. Ideally, I want to see all of Thailand, as well as what I can of Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar.

I've picked up the "Lonely Planet" guides just to see about dangers, fees, etc.

But, if anyone has any advice for me on ANY of these areas, I would be extreeeeemely greatful!

Or even better would be if any of you are LIVING in any of these countries and wouldn't mind showing a foreigner around a little bit.

I'm travelling alone and I'm very green to that part of the world, so I'm a little nervous --- but SOOOO excited!

Thanks everyone!

2. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Give me a call when you reach Vietnam, PMed you my phone number.

3. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

That's a lot of ground to cover in 54 days. I will assume you're backpacking, but some of this is applicable regardless.

In the main, my best experiences have been those off the tourist path. I try to immerse myself in the ordinary life of the place I am visiting rather than attending the tourist sites (museums, monuments, etc.). That doesn't mean you avoid those things, just don't turn your trip into a hop from one attraction to the next. I want to be more familiar with what morning is like in the places I have been, rather than what a statue meant.

One book I would suggest is Mark Cocker's Loneliness and Time, which gives a nice overview of hardcore British travelers from the early twentieth century. This reading assignment may seem unrelated compared with a LP guide. However, as a decentered approach, it may give you some ideas about how to frame your experiences. Much of what you witness in Asia will blow right over you. Other things take years to settle.

In Rangoon, if you want to start off on a good foot, I suggest taking lunch with the monks at the Mahasi Meditation Centre. They eat at 10:30 a.m. Show up a little early:

No 16, Sasana Yeiktha Road, Bahan
    Rangoon 11201 Burma
    Telephone: (+95) 01 541971, 552501

In Phnom Penh, the FCC is a good place to watch the rivers connect:

http://www.fcccambodia.com/phnom_penh/

In Bangkok, the New Joe House off Khao San Rd. is as good as anywhere to get started. Clean rooms, AC, slows your shock to the weather.

Safe travels.

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

There is some good surfing there. Though I hear Charlie don't surf.

5. DNW

DNW Senior member

I found this site while searching for a Pad Thai recipe. Even though the site promotes a tour guided by its webmaster, it has good info on Thailand. Good luck and have fun. http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/index.html

6. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

[​IMG] Sounds like fun, lucky bastard. I spend alot of time in Thailand so I can offer a few pieces of advice; I wrote this email to a friend of mine who went to Thailand for 2 weeks last year so you can pick and choose what you think you might like if you only want to spend a few days there:

I might also add, that depending on what you are into and how much time you want to spend on a bus [​IMG] you could always head up north to the lush jungles around Chiang Mai.

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

here's how you see thailand - 5 days in bangkok, then take a bus east (east, yes, east) to trat. stop off on the way in chantaburi, maybe in sattahip or pataya, spend a night in trat, and then go to ko chang for a week. this is an island that is what the western islands were 30 years ago. then I would cross into cambodia, see angor wat and make your way to matt.

have fun.

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Ideally, I want to see all of Thailand, as well as what I can of Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar.

I'd be interested in your report on Myanmar. How easy is it for Westerners to get in there and how are they welcomed?

I'm going to be in Shillong briefly in January, which is but a hop away from Myanmar, although I wouldn't be going this trip.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I'd be interested in your report on Myanmar. How easy is it for Westerners to get in there and how are they welcomed?

I'm going to be in Shillong briefly in January, which is but a hop away from Myanmar, although I wouldn't be going this trip.

talk to JA, he spent more time there than any westerner I know.

10. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

If you don't have a layover in Bangkok on your way to Assam, fetch a visa through the post in Washington:

http://www.mewashingtondc.com/Requir...ist%20Visa.pdf

Ten years ago you traded US$300 to FECs at the airport and then sold those on the black market downtown. Pretty straightforward transactions.

Myanmar is the most welcoming of countries I have visited in SEA. If you need further details, let me know.