• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

South Africa in August

bullethead

Reaction score
hey all-as the thread title reads, I will be in SA in August. Specifically, Johannesburg, Capetown and Victoria falls.

Any recs on things I shouldn't miss?

Thanks in advance

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullethead
hey all-as the thread title reads, I will be in SA in August. Specifically, Johannesburg, Capetown and Victoria falls.

Any recs on things I shouldn't miss?

Thanks in advance

Ya, don't bother going to Joburg.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kruger National Park - august is the best month.

Cape town will be pretty cold so be prepared

Make sure you check out Vic Falls hotel and watch out for the cheeky baboons

never been to jo'burg but from what ive heard its probably worth a miss - spend more time on the cape

mmhollis

Reaction score
Definitely check out Nelson's Eye Steakhouse in Capetown and also Fork is great on Long Street for Tapa's.

What hotel are you staying at in Capetown?

dflyer7

Reaction score
Don't miss Robin Island, this is where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned just off the coast of Cape Town. Weather often does not allow the ferry to run so plan to try on your first day in Cape Town. If the weather is a problem on day 1 you can try again on day 2. Many of the tour guides are former prisoners which makes this an especially amazing experience. Instead of "this is what happened here", its "this is what happened to us".

Agree with the suggestions of skipping Jo Berg. It looks like Newark and people actually don't stay out after dark because it's so dangerous. So there is literally no such thing as nightlife and nothing worth seeing during the day.

Spend as much time as possible at Kruger and Private Game reserves if your funds allow. The wildlife viewing is like nothing else on the planet.

August is the perfect time to be in South Africa. You will wear a fleece in the morning and at night but will most likely be down to a t-shirt during the middle of the day.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you do go to jo'burg, hit the aparthied museum, one of the best museums around

Gavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dflyer7

Spend as much time as possible at Kruger and Private Game reserves if your funds allow. The wildlife viewing is like nothing else on the planet.

This.

Beluga in Cape Town was one of the best meals I've had in my life with probably the best server.

I enjoyed the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens -- got a picnic basket and bottle of Cap Classique for lunch, but I was there with my now-wife so that kinda biases me.

Lots to see, eat, and drink on a walk along Strand St.

And of course...wine tours.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
another thing in Jo'burg - go to the cradle of humankind, a little out of town, very cool - you go down into a cave where they found some of the oldest humanoid fossils. very cool

bullethead

Reaction score
thanks for the replies so far. Gonna do Kruger and a shark dive for sure, we shall see what my gal has planned for the rest.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullethead
thanks for the replies so far. Gonna do Kruger and a shark dive for sure, we shall see what my gal has planned for the rest.

Quartier Francais

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If I were to go again to :-

Victoria Falls
I would definitely fly in from Joburg to Livingstone in Zambia and then cross into Zimbabwe and stay in the Kingdom Hotel because the best view of the falls is from the Zimbabwe side and the Kingdom hotel is the closest. Do not stay on the Zambia side because of the bad view and do not fly into Victoria falls airport in Zimbabwe. The Victoria Falls Hotel is the classiest but a bit stuck up, I would visit for high tea or dinner. The Elephant hills Hotel is a good visit. I would definitely go for a sunset cruise on the river. You might also enjoy elephant riding, bungy jumping off the bridge or white water rafting.

Johannesburg
Is a very large city, but not much of a tourist centre. Very high crime rate and lots of violence. You could very easily get shot or hijacked if you dont know where you are going or what you are doing. Not a cool place to be ever. Give it a miss and rather go to Kruger Park.

Capetown
Well i would go to visit the
1. V&A Waterfront - views to die for - 100 restaurants - huge shoppng mall - very good hotels - aquarium.
2. Go to the top of Table Mountain by Cable car. Go real early because there are thousands of tourists.
3. Groot Constantia and Klein Constantia - the original wine farms (groot=big klein=small)
4. Boschendal - the biggest company owned wine farm
5. Vergelegen - dont miss the most beautiful gardens and huge camphor trees
6. Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - stunning
7. The three passes tour - past Somerset West, Elgin, Franschoek (French Quarter) and Paarl (huge pearl shaped mountain and afrikaans language monument)
8. Tour - Seapoint - Clifton - Camps Bay - Hout Bay harbour - along Chapmans Peak Drive then on to Cape Point - then back past Fishoek - Kalk Bay (stop off for a drink) - Muizenberg - Newlands and into Capetown.
9. Groote Schuur Hospital - where the worlds first heart transplant was performed.
10. Lions Head for a sundowner.
11. The Castle

I personally would give Robben Island a miss. It's a overrated god forsaken place tourist trap cash cow and there is not much to see except a prison cell.

If you want further info - PM me.

have a good trip.

SafricanGentleman

Reaction score
Johannesburg can be quite fun, if you know where to go and what to do:
Let me know if this was helpful and I can add some more tips.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads