• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sources of trouser inspiration: pale chinos

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nobody in real life would notice.

This is true, but only because most people don't have an eye for clothing and especially now tailored clothing. The language for this stuff is mostly lost. However, people here discuss many things that the public would not notice because most people here are interested in clothes.

Panama

Reaction score
This is true, but only because most people don't have an eye for clothing and especially now tailored clothing. The language for this stuff is mostly lost. However, people here discuss many things that the public would not notice because most people here are interested in clothes.
Yes, but we are discussing shoes not clothes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Look through photos of the more sophisticated dressers who have posted on this board -- Iammatt, Vox, Maomao, yfyf, etc

1000.jpg
348c9471822384a9cfdd993af86ae38c.jpg
tumblr_nips1gCJ6a1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg
d7a29492935fe61e683cd1803e5b7e56.jpeg

The only well dressed person I can think of who breaks this "rule" is Bruce. I think he consistently looks great, but partly that's because he is who he is. Most men would look better in a derby here.

tumblr_0f92f5d66f23e48e00bb151d44cbb9ef_f5dc318d_1280.jpeg

And indeed, even on him, I think he looks better with these choices.

Bruce-Boyer-on-fashion.jpeg
42ab3936f60977a861ccf2feafeb528e.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Panama

Reaction score
Look through photos of the more sophisticated dressers who have posted on this board -- Iammatt, Vox, Maomao, yfyf, etc

View attachment 1573932 View attachment 1573933 View attachment 1573936 View attachment 1573938

The only well dressed person I can think of who breaks this "rule" is Bruce. I think he consistently looks great, but partly that's because he is who he is. Most men would look better in a derby here.

View attachment 1573939

And indeed, even on him, I think he looks better with these choices.

View attachment 1573942 View attachment 1573940 View attachment 1573941
The loafers in photo two, meh...

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the core of your argument is that “more sophisticated” dressers only wear oxfords with suits (and I’d contend that this is not a particularly strong argument, because this sets up a tautology where the definition of “sophistication” is simply following these rules) then I guess I’d have to point to this thread where plenty of “well dressed” SF posters have written that they wear less formal oxfords with sport coats:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If the core of your argument is that “more sophisticated” dressers only wear oxfords with suits then I guess I’d have to point to this thread where plenty of “well dressed” SF posters have written that they wear less formal oxfords with sport coats:

Looking through that thread, I don't know how any of the participants dress, so I can't say. The people here that I've admired have generally stuck to this rule, though.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking through that thread, I don't know how any of the participants dress, so I can't say. The people here that I've admired have generally stuck to this rule, though.

so a kind of tautology where it’s impossible to refute your rules of dressing because sophisticated men dress the way you like. I agree with a lot/most of what you write, I just think this particular rule of yours is a bit too dogmatic and narrow for my taste. But YMMV of course.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
so a kind of tautology where it’s impossible to refute your rules of dressing because sophisticated dressers follow rules that you like. I agree with a lot/most of what you write, I just think this particular rule of yours is a bit too dogmatic and narrow for my taste. But YMMV of course.

Just to clarify, I don't think they're well dressed because they follow this rule (that would be reductive). I think they're well dressed because they look good in their clothes. I'm thinking of posters such as Iammat, Vox, Will, Maomao, yfyf, Gus, Gaz, RSS, aportnoy, GDL203, Parker, Niidawg, etc. The shoes end up being a small detail as part of a whole, but it's a notable decision.

I like the way Bruce dresses, and he doesn't follow this "rule."

Boggis

Reaction score
Stumbled across a good interview with Gerry Nelson from around these parts, he talks about how he learned how to dress well casually after first doing "classic menswear".

Anyway, I thought the suggestion of paying attention to brands you like and essentially copying them until you know what you're doing to be a good one, I'll give it a try. Hopefully I'll end up looking like a smooth Italian and not Greg from accounts.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I will fall on my sword on this forum repeating that people should not wear oxfords outside of suits. Please, for the love of all that is holy. Stop wearing oxfords outside of suits. It looks so terrible.

I agree with a lot/most of what you write, I just think this particular rule of yours is a bit too dogmatic and narrow for my taste. But YMMV of course.

When I first read DWW put forth this preference in such emphatic terms I also thought it was a bit dogmatic, and what’s more I strongly disagreed as I really like oxfords and tend to dislike derbies. I’d never wear oxfords with jeans and almost certainly wouldn’t with chinos, but I’d happily wear them with any style of dress trousers no matter how casual the rest of my outfit. The only thing that mattered to me was that there wasn’t a jarring clash in formality between the shoes and trousers.

Lately, though, as my own style has developed in a slightly more casual direction, I’ve begun to come around to the idea. I’ll still wear my Alfred Sargent suede oxfords in pretty much any situation (tan, too, and they look phenomenal), but wherever I used to wear oxfords outside of a suit I’ve now switched them out for loafers or my trusty Clarks desert boots, the only shoes with open lacing that I’ve ever loved.

I still don’t agree that oxfords should only be worn with a suit. I think it’s just a matter of personal preference rather than a prescriptive, iron clad rule, but I at least see where DWW is coming from.

I’ll defend my tan suede Sargents to the death, though :)

Panama

Reaction score
When I first read DWW put forth this preference in such emphatic terms I also thought it was a bit dogmatic, and what’s more I strongly disagreed as I really like oxfords and tend to dislike derbies. I’d never wear oxfords with jeans and almost certainly wouldn’t with chinos, but I’d happily wear them with any style of dress trousers no matter how casual the rest of my outfit. The only thing that mattered to me was that there wasn’t a jarring clash in formality between the shoes and trousers.

Lately, though, as my own style has developed in a slightly more casual direction, I’ve begun to come around to the idea. I’ll still wear my Alfred Sargent suede oxfords in pretty much any situation (tan, too, and they look phenomenal), but wherever I used to wear oxfords outside of a suit I’ve now switched them out for loafers or my trusty Clarks desert boots, the only shoes with open lacing that I’ve ever loved.

I still don’t agree that oxfords should only be worn with a suit. I think it’s just a matter of personal preference rather than a prescriptive, iron clad rule, but I at least see where DWW is coming from.

I’ll defend my tan suede Sargents to the death, though :)
I do not like loafers or any slip ons. I wear CHINOS seven days a week. I am looking at a pair of coloured jeans, but I have not worn jeans for 15 years and they were black. I can't possibly wear Chukkas 7 days a week. I only have one pair of desert boots. Most sales items are coloured OXFORDS. Gibsons don't appear that popular here.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not like loafers or any slip ons. I wear CHINOS seven days a week. I am looking at a pair of coloured jeans, but I have not worn jeans for 15 years and they were black. I can't possibly wear Chukkas 7 days a week. I only have one pair of desert boots. Most sales items are coloured OXFORDS. Gibsons don't appear that popular here.
Two styles that I like are a Norwegian split-tie derby and a plain toe derby.

Boggis

Reaction score
Two styles that I like are a Norwegian split-tie derby and a plain toe derby.
I wish I could like a Norwegian Split toe... but it just doesn't do it for me. I generally dislike any shoe with an apron, and I find the **** toe usually looks ugly. Sometimes the overall silhouette of a Norwegian Split toe looks great, but I can't see past the weird stitching.

What's the thoughts on a captoe derby in casual outfits? Like this:
cheaney-murton-r-derby-in-brown-calf-leather-p1166-7849_image.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads