• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sources of trouser inspiration: pale chinos

Panama

Reaction score
I wish I could like a Norwegian Split toe... but it just doesn't do it for me. I generally dislike any shoe with an apron, and I find the slit toe usually looks ugly. Sometimes the overall silhouette of a Norwegian Split toe looks great, but I can't see past the weird stitching.

What's the thoughts on a captoe derby in casual outfits? Like this:
View attachment 1580152
OXFORDS are nicer...

dirtbag-delux

Reaction score
Yes, I think oxford is the demarcating line. Some caveats: some very well dressed people I know wear oxfords outside of suits. I know Bruce Boyer often wears suede Clev oxfords with sport coats. I've seen Mark Cho at The Armoury recommend oxfords in non-suit contexts a few times in his videos, although in one video, he says he personally believes that oxfords are for suits (so who knows). FWIW, I don't think I've ever seen a photo of Mark himself wearing oxfords outside the context of a suit.

I don't believe in historical cosplay, but when you look at the "golden age" of classic men's style, suits were worn with oxfords and more casual shoes, such as loafers, derbies, and chukkas, depending on the context. Oxfords, however, were only worn with suits. In other words, you can dress a suit down with more casual shoes; but casual outfits called for casual shoes only.

Voxsartoria has a really good online photo archive of well-dressed men from about 1930 to 1980. Just look at some of the combos there. If someone isn't wearing a suit, then I think they'd do better in very casual shoes. Also likely not in tan because tan is a very specific color that requires some attention to how things are put together. Sometimes tan works; often it doesn't because the wearer doesn't have the wardrobe for it. Easier to go with mid or dark brown.

View attachment 1573397
View attachment 1573398View attachment 1573399
View attachment 1573400View attachment 1573401
View attachment 1573402
View attachment 1573403
View attachment 1573404View attachment 1573405
View attachment 1573406View attachment 1573407
View attachment 1573408
View attachment 1573409
View attachment 1573410View attachment 1573411View attachment 1573412View attachment 1573413
Are there traditions about wearing wingtips? I've been looking for a pair of brown short wing derbys lately. Is there a traditional way of wearing such a shoe?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are there traditions about wearing wingtips? I've been looking for a pair of brown short wing derbys lately. Is there a traditional way of wearing such a shoe?
IMO:

- Wingtip oxfords only with suits
- Wingtip derbies with either suits or sport coats
- Wingtip derbies with some CM casualwear, but possibly sometimes better with a different shoe, depending on the casual outfit.

apShepard

Reaction score
@dieworkwear is right. That looks atrocious, especially the blue oxfords worn with chinos. Looks like the people wearing fedoras with wolf t-shirts.

That being said, Simon tricked me.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
@dieworkwear is right. That looks atrocious, especially the blue oxfords worn with chinos. Looks like the people wearing fedoras with wolf t-shirts.

That being said, Simon tricked me.
You don't think suede and an extent broguing mitigates the Oxfords with chinos rule? Personally I see these particular blue shoes with natural soles as exclusively smart casual. I wouldn't wear them with a suit. My default work clothes these days are jacket, button down shirt, tie, chinos and leather or suede boots/shoes. I'm tending towards chukkas but still like my brogues too and I haven't worn a suit yet this year. I don't like sneakers even with jeans

Perhaps you wouldn't wear blue suede brogues fullstop?

I did try but I can't pull off a fedora look anyway.

Last edited:

dirtbag-delux

Reaction score
You don't think suede and an extent broguing mitigates the Oxfords with chinos rule? Personally I see these particular blue shoes with natural soles as exclusively smart casual. I wouldn't wear them with a suit. My default work clothes these days are jacket, button down shirt, tie, chinos and leather or suede boots/shoes. I'm tending towards chukkas but still like my brogues too and I haven't worn a suit yet this year. I don't like sneakers even with jeans

Perhaps you wouldn't wear blue suede brogues fullstop?

I did try but I can't pull off a fedora look anyway.
After further contemplation I have updated my personal style rules to include -- no oxfords, no wingtips.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.