1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sources of Superb British Fabric

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by babygreenspots, Sep 14, 2006.

1. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

My close friend, a tailor based here in Beijing, is looking for a wholesale source of British fabric. He needs to keep costs low and does not need the most luxuriant stuff out there. Just quality - probably 100s wool - in standard weaves and colors. The costs must be low. Any online sources that you know of that offer fabric in bulk?

Thanks a lot

2. Matt

Matt Senior member

in low quantities, there is always how6955 on eBay. Very cheap.

3. babygreenspots

Hey, don't let other people know! His prices will go up. I have numerous articles of clothing made with his fabric. I'm looking for larger quantities now, though, for business purposes.

4. Roger

Roger Senior member

That's interesting, m@T. Do you know where he gets his wool? Is it lower-quality stuff, or, perhaps, cuttings or left-over wool from top mills?

5. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's interesting, m@T. Do you know where he gets his wool? Is it lower-quality stuff, or, perhaps, cuttings or left-over wool from top mills?

I understand he lives near the British mills and buys ends and other pieces directly from them.

6. kali77

kali77 Senior member

Generally speaking how many metres would be needed to make a 2pc suit for a size 38-40R?? Thanks I am guessing in the 3.0-3.75 metre range.

7. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Generally speaking how many metres would be needed to make a 2pc suit for a size 38-40R?? Thanks I am guessing in the 3.0-3.75 metre range.

3.5 is safe for solid color cloth and belted trousers. 3.75 to 4.0 if there's a pattern to match. Add another half a meter for high rise trousers.

As you can see, there are variables. Best to ask the tailor how much s/he needs for the pattern you've selected.

8. babygreenspots

3.5 is safe for solid color cloth and belted trousers. 3.75 to 4.0 if there's a pattern to match. Add another half a meter for high rise trousers.

As you can see, there are variables. Best to ask the tailor how much s/he needs for the pattern you've selected.

I've gotten away with just 3 meters for a suit in solid fabric and I am 6'1 with a 34 inseam, basically 39l. I made a suit and two pants with 3.8 in striped fabric. Good tailors have tricks (that still let you end up with a good suit)