• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source of (custom?) shearling coat?

radix

Reaction score
I'm looking for a European style shearling coat/jacket with a stand-up collar, but cannot find it on ebay or anywhere else. I would be willing to spend around $500.

An alternative is spending more and going custom. But I don't know where to find custom made shearlings either. Any suggestions on either RTW or custom?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radix
I'm looking for a European style shearling coat/jacket with a stand-up collar, but cannot find it on ebay or anywhere else. I would be willing to spend around $500.

An alternative is spending more and going custom. But I don't know where to find custom made shearlings either. Any suggestions on either RTW or custom?

$500 won't take you far. The skins are too precious to let go for so little. I'd stick with wool until you have more saved. In Paris, here are some bespoke makers:

Atelier de la Sorgue at 8 rue de l'odÃ
00a9.png
on 75006 Paris

Aron's Cuir: 4 r Pont aux Choux 75003 Paris, Tel: 01 42 72 85 01

Jirayr Varskhan: 28 r Godefroy Cavaignac 75011 Paris, Tel. 01 43 71 63 24

N N CrÃ
00a9.png
ation: 212 bd Voltaire 75011 Paris, Tel. 01 43 56 82 01

Nikolic Novica: 212 bd Voltaire 75011 Paris, Tel. 01 43 56 82 01

Al Henceford Leather: 205 bd Pereire 75017 Paris, Tel. 01 45 74 24 02

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radix
I would be willing to spend around $500.

Unless you're lucky enough to find a good deal on ebay or catch a (really) good sale, this isn't going to happen. Even the shearling coats sold by Orvis and Brooks Brothers are going to take you north of $1,000.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I imagine it would be possible, especially if they are very confident with the measurements taken. And given your business...

I agree on that jacket. It's stunning. One of the nicest things I've ever seen on styleforum.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by discostu004
how hard would it be to do something similar without ever being there, i.e. sending height, weight, jacket size, sleeve length etc?

I'd say that it would be dicey at best, like Jantzen and that ilk.

vc2000

Reaction score
I picked one up sheepskin from Rossi y Caruso in Buenos Aires for $700-800. Argentina might be a good place to try. I'm sure you could find something in your price range. Somebody should know a source. Actually you could probably buy a ticket to BA for the cost savings... It will be inverse season there lower prices and spring in BA. Cool.

C&R prices are high - others were cheaper. In BA you will be approached everywhere for leather goods. I didn't want the Marlboro man heavy coat. I thought I did but then I realized that the number of places I could wear that heavy of a coat were limited. The jacket I got is buttery soft and light weight but warm. (Lambskin) Weight wise it isn't much heavier then spring or fall jacket. The weight is the surprising thing. It is an awesome coat. I haven't seen anything like it - close in some shops in Florence but at several times the cost. I had been looking for a coat for 15+ years. (I'd post photos but the coat is at my house on Tahoe and I'm not...)

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads