Source for classic-fit, pleated corduroys?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Douglas, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I guess I could have my HK guy make something up but I'd prefer to find something cheaper if possible. Seems silly to blow $200 a pair on cords. Online sources OK, but judging the wale and fit could be difficult without seeing them in person.

I prefer a more classic fit as opposed to narrow, and though the thought of pleats on cords scare me a little, I'd like to give them a shot, as I generally look better in pleated trousers on account of my hulking size. Any thoughts from the cognoscenti?

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Lands End typically has them. I suspect they will return online this fall.

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I would highly suggest staying away from pleated cords. I don't agree that a big guy has to go with "big" clothing to look good, but I would stick with flat fronts on cords unless you are doing very small wale, lightweight fabric cords. Then you could do the forward pleats thing.

5. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I like my forward pleated cords, but I think part of why they work is that I'm very skinny. I might just agree with edmorel.

6. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

7. Douglas

I dunno, maybe I shouldn't be in cords at all, but just about every pair of flat-front pants I've ever owned look absolutely awful on me. It's not just that I'm a bigger fellow, though I am, but I think also just the way my hips work, dunno, flats just never look great. I have one pair of FF trousers in all the world that I think look good on me, and when I had them copied in other materials, they didn't work.

I have to have reverse pleats, forwards will just add even more bulk. I was hoping for a very classic, deep pleat in a somewhat lighter material, 11-wale or higher, nothing like 6 or 8, which is a bit too much IMO. In any event, though I am willing to try anything, it's got to have a big leg opening at the bottom. The skinny shit a lot of you guys can get away with makes me look like the ice skating hippo in Fantasia.

8. Douglas