• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source for Bow Tie/Cumberbond set

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommand a good source ( online or BM store) for Bow Tie/Cummberbond set?
I checked out Saks, they have set for about 70 bucks, but I wasn't sure about the qulity.

thanks

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you are talking black bowite and black cummerbund as a set, I would not get the set in general.

It's like buying a tie/pocketsquare set: too contrived.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Unless you are talking black bowite and black cummerbund as a set, I would not get the set in general.

It's like buying a tie/pocketsquare set: too contrived.

but I would like them to match each other in texture as much as possible, since neither the bow tie nor the cummberbund will match the grogain lepel on the tux.
Anyway, I don't have to get them together I guess, but I am clueless when it comes to a good source to get formalwear accessories.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen sets at any of the large department stores.

For online, try Ben silver, Brooks Brothers, Paul Stuart, Jos. A Bank
blush.gif
, and such.

bleedinggumsmurphy

Reaction score
Ben Silver has some great stuff, but I'm a big fan of Beau Ties of Vermont. They'll make pretty much whatever you want. The quality is good, the selection is great, and the prices are a lot lower than Ben Silver.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I looked all over New York for a grosgrain set last year. They were either outrageously expensive or satin. I ended up getting a tie and cummerbund from Bloomingdale's of all places. It was around $100.

I will probably make these for Howard Yount some time in the future. I've been unhappy with every cummerbund I've seen.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
but I would like them to match each other in texture as much as possible, since neither the bow tie nor the cummberbund will match the grogain lepel on the tux. Anyway, I don't have to get them together I guess, but I am clueless when it comes to a good source to get formalwear accessories.
Hickey Freeman has a grosgrain set. So does Hanauer (faille). Carrot & Gibbs can probably make what you want. These all run ~$150-200

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but I would like them to match each other in texture as much as possible, since neither the bow tie nor the cummberbund will match the grogain lepel on the tux.
Anyway, I don't have to get them together I guess, but I am clueless when it comes to a good source to get formalwear accessories.

why won't it match the grograin lapels? I scored a RLPL grograin cummerbund and Paul Stuart grograin bowtie. The bowtie was around $40 and the RLPL cummerbund I got at deep discount (paid around $75 for it). It might be tough to score a set for $70, but I'm sure you can hunt and peck around the web for a deal.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
why won't it match the grograin lapels? I scored a RLPL grograin cummerbund and Paul Stuart grograin bowtie. The bowtie was around $40 and the RLPL cummerbund I got at deep discount (paid around $75 for it). It might be tough to score a set for $70, but I'm sure you can hunt and peck around the web for a deal.

if you buy them individually, they may come in diffenet shade of black .
But thanks for the advises everyone, I will try to do some hunting on the bay and online to check out..

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you buy them individually, they may come in diffenet shade of black . But thanks for the advises everyone, I will try to do some hunting on the bay and online to check out..
If you find a set online or one ebay (Seems like Ive seen Paul Smith ones or Duchamp ones?) you can link them here and you could get opinions before you buy.

K Street

Reaction score
J. Press offers grosgrain bows and cummerbunds in-store and possibly on their website. Pricey, perhaps, but I looked elsewhere when I was in the market and found no better deal. The Jos. A. Bank saleswoman did not even know what grosgrain was.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RLYesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I looked all over New York for a grosgrain set last year. They were either outrageously expensive or satin. I ended up getting a tie and cummerbund from Bloomingdale's of all places. It was around $100.

Any idea if they still carry it? And if yes, SoHo or uptown? Thanks so much!

(tried to send as PM but not enough posts)

mdp0430

Reaction score
I picked up a RL Polo "faille" bow tie and cummerbund online for under $100 total on sale. While not technically grossgrain, they are a close enough match for my Polo tux's grossgrain lapels... Very happy with the purchase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads