Soundgarden Reuniting

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by willpower, Jan 12, 2010.

1. MrG

MrG Senior member

I agree, and it's funny you mention the new AIC. As I was typing my post I was thinking about the how good that album is. In fact, I almost qualified my statement with a note on how AIC had managed to be the exception to the rule.

2. Sherlockian

Sherlockian Senior member

I agree, and it's funny you mention the new AIC. As I was typing my post I was thinking about the how good that album is. In fact, I almost qualified my statement with a note on how AIC had managed to be the exception to the rule.

If only Jane's Addiction could have held off on the recording until they had all the original members back...or, indeed, have recognised the probable futility of releasing another album so long after their glory days. Egos and crack habits, I suppose.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I generally think the same, but the new Alice In Chains (yes, new...no Layne Staley) was surprisingly good.

+10. A few songs even really captured the old AIC feeling. I almost got tickets to see them next month, but the venue sucked.

4. milosz

milosz Senior member

Soundgarden/AIC/Pearl Jam have aged terribly compared to their peers. (Always hated AIC, for the record) The good music of the '90s was dynamic (Cobain's oft-cited desire to emulate the Pixies), these three sound like chugging buttrock throwbacks.

Soundgarden is the most disappointing to hear these days, as I loved the shit out of them circa junior high.

5. milosz

milosz Senior member

Most surprisingly good song of the '90s - "Swallowed" by Bush. Inane lyrics, per usual, but it's far and away the best Pixies ripoff musically. Albini earned his money that time.

6. sushi7474

sushi7474 Well-Known Member

Definitely good news!

I am much happier having the Chris Cornell back at doing hard rock, than seeing him struggling with the awkward Timbaland hip-hop style...

[​IMG]

7. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Soundgarden/AIC/Pearl Jam have aged terribly compared to their peers. (Always hated AIC, for the record) The good music of the '90s was dynamic (Cobain's oft-cited desire to emulate the Pixies), these three sound like chugging buttrock throwbacks.

Soundgarden is the most disappointing to hear these days, as I loved the shit out of them circa junior high.

I would say just the opposite, that Soundgarden had a far less "period" feel to it (though it still sounded of its period) and thus has held up better.

8. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Down on the Upside was the very first tape I ever bought.

9. Piobaire

Most surprisingly good song of the '90s - "Swallowed" by Bush. Inane lyrics, per usual, but it's far and away the best Pixies ripoff musically. Albini earned his money that time.

So the 90s were all about sounding like a band I saw in the 80s?

I would say just the opposite, that Soundgarden had a far less "period" feel to it (though it still sounded of its period) and thus has held up better.

I would agree and also say AIC was not typical grunge but more rock. Yes, they dressed grunge, but sounded rock.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I would agree and also say AIC was not typical grunge but more rock. Yes, they dressed grunge, but sounded rock.

For some reason, the Pixies never caught on for me.

11. milosz

milosz Senior member

Insofar as grunge and alternative were the mainstreaming of '80s punk and college rock - yes.
    FTFY. My hatred of AIC is pure and strong. I don't even know why I hate them, since I never knew any fans at the time.

12. Piobaire

For some reason, the Pixies never caught on for me.

Hard not to acknowledge the impact they had on alt/grunge. If memory serves, I saw them in about 89, after they had just released their second album.

My hatred of AIC is pure and strong. I don't even know why I hate them, since I never knew any fans at the time.

I like them even more now.

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Good news. Saw them multiple times in the early 90s, too old to go see them now.. [​IMG]

14. Piobaire

Good news. Saw them multiple times in the early 90s, too old to go see them now.. [​IMG]

LOL, that's exactly how I feel. The AIC venue is general admission main floor and has no Sky Box type suites. I'm too old for main floor general admission bullshit and prefer the Sky Box treatment where you get underground parking and elevator to your floor [​IMG]

15. r...

r... Senior member

No way. You think these teenie boppers are going to appreciate some Ty Cobb?