• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sore muscles

nicepants

Reaction score
A friend of mine recently suggested I start doing Supersets to augment my weightlifting routine. I've been impressed with the results but my muscles are unusually sore for up to 3-4 days in the muscle groups that I am working out. I've had soreness before but nothing like this. I see my massage therapist about once a week. This helps but I can't afford to see her every day.

Do any of you have recommendations for getting rid of sore muscles? Is the pain an indication that I'm pushing myself too hard?

F4iryder14

Reaction score
Supersets are what might commonly be referred to as an "advanced" technique, so as you know you are definitely working your muscles harder than normal lifting.  That being said, I wouldn't superset a certain muscle group more that 2 or maybe 3 times a month.  Supersets, giant sets, drop sets, negatives, etc. are techniques that should be used sparingly to shock your muscles or to get you over a plateau.  You're gonna burn out and risk overtraining/injury if you do them too much.  That all being said, make sure when you get to the gym that you do some light cardio (running, bike) for about 6-10 minutes to get your muscles warmed up.  And after they are warm stretch all of your muscles if you have time, but specifically the ones that you will be working that day (it still amazes that guys will walk into a gym and do neither of what I just stated and start lifting; that's just begging for an injury).  Also, a good thing to do is flex/squeeze your muscles for a few seconds and then stretch them in between sets.  This helps to break up the lactic acid that is building up that is ultimately causing your soreness.  And last but not least make sure you stretch when you are done.  As a final kicker, get some Icy Hot or similar sports creme that can get you through the really sore times.  Hope this helps.

Kevin

gqelements

Reaction score
Also, a good thing to do is flex/squeeze your muscles for a few seconds and then stretch them in between sets. This helps to break up the lactic acid that is building up that is ultimately causing your soreness.
Flexing and stretching is essential but lactic acid has nothing to do with soreness 1 or 2 days down the road. Lactic acid only builds up during the set/ superset in your case/ your muscles hurt because they are not used to such massive tearing or the tissue caused my a sudden drastic increase of workload. As long as it's your muscles and not joints that are sore suck it up and observe the results that will come shortly.

F4iryder14

Reaction score
Flexing and stretching is essential but lactic acid has nothing to do with soreness 1 or 2 days down the road. Lactic acid only builds up during the set/ superset in your case/ your muscles hurt because they are not used to such massive tearing or the tissue caused my a sudden drastic increase of workload. .
That's a good point. I was mistaken in my original reasong. Â Looks like it's a common myth (link - http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/1346.html). Â Like I said in the original post though, use advanced techniques sparingly. Â They're like a shot of nitrous to use in your workouts, but you don't want to do them all the time.

nicepants

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I've recovered from my soreness and have started working with a personal trainer at my gym. I'm hoping that he can help me create a new program that will allow me to get the gains that I want. I've stopped doing the supersets for now and I can see what you mean about it being a tool to stimulate the muscles rather than something you'd want to do on a regular basis. I've also purchased some Icy Hot in case it happens again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads