1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Soporific Tie Pr0n

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Diavolo

Diavolo Senior member

Gianni Agnelli would love my boring Cashmere & Wool & Grenadine ties [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A.

2. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Is it? Mina said the basic make was lined six-fold, E 120. Do they offer a three-fold for a lower price?

well downstairs where he has some readymade ties, one side has the 6/7 folds, the other side has the standard make, and there are moar of the standards.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

well downstairs where he has some readymade ties, one side has the 6/7 folds, the other side has the standard make, and there are moar of the standards.

Maybe he does not do the standard make MTO or bespoke. Or maybe they are just not offering it through this NY program.

4. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

What is the summer equivalent of a wool tie?

Would a grenadine be comparable in terms of texture without the weight (for lack of a better description)?

5. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

he has made some of my selections in the 'standard' manner if that is what the fabric called for.

6. Manton

What is the summer equivalent of a wool tie?
    Linen. Or Irish poplin (wool/silk). Linen/silk also makes a nice tie. Cotton, too.

But linen above all.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

he has made some of my selections in the 'standard' manner if that is what the fabric called for.
    My ties have come as unlined 6's (when requested) or regular (3 fold) lined or unlined as he felt was best.

8. forex

forex Senior member

My ties have come as unlined 6's (when requested) or regular (3 fold) lined or unlined as he felt was best.

Do you have a preference?Unlined vs. lined?I am thinking of ordering some unlined 6's but not sure if they knot well.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do you have a preference?Unlined vs. lined?I am thinking of ordering some unlined 6's but not sure if they knot well.
    They knot up fine, but tend to make smaller knots. I really don't care one way or the other. I guess I like unlined for summer, but I also like unlined cashmeres, so...

10. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

naw, solid ties are far from boring! I just meant my suit-to-tie matching schemes have been a little humdrum in the past. I'd like to branch out a little and maybe do more interesting combos. I usually don't consider wearing a tie with a gray suit unless it's.....got gray in it.

Thanks, but why would you want to break out of the boring tie mode [​IMG] I just ordered two more solid navy woven ties. [​IMG]

11. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Linen. Or Irish poplin (wool/silk). Linen/silk also makes a nice tie. Cotton, too.

But linen above all.

or a very fine wool... beautiful

12. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Here is my stuff, my only print is the third from the left. The burgandy is for when I feel wild and crazy. My favorite is the one to the right of the burgandy.

[​IMG]

Ed - could you id from left to right?

13. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

[​IMG] My plainest selection [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Most are by Breuer or Faconable.

14. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

The center one is the ne plus ultra. The left one is great too. The right one may be too exciting.

[​IMG]

Those are all great.

Especially like the crimson one.

Will Solito / Ambrosi be bringing swatches in June? I don't think they did last time but I honestly forgot to ask.

15. Manton

Those are all great.

Especially like the crimson one.

Will Solito / Ambrosi be bringing swatches in June? I don't think they did last time but I honestly forgot to ask.

I don't know. Mina comes more often than they do, in any case, so you can always get them through her.

I am going to ask her to bring the linen and wool/cashmere swatches next time.

16. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

[​IMG] My plainest selection
    I believe the aquamarine one is too lively to be considered soporific.

17. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I don't know. Mina comes more often than they do, in any case, so you can always get them through her.

I am going to ask her to bring the linen and wool/cashmere swatches next time.

Thanks, just emailed Mina about the next trip - whenever that will be. Can't believe I missed the last one; I guess I need to check the forum more often. Now I'm guessing Ambrosi will be here first. I'd like to see some wool ones too. I really need a plain grey wool tie.

18. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

Boring fine woolens:
    [​IMG]

What about wearing those in spring/summer?
    I will do so, but I want to know if that is considered entirely insane.

19. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

Boring fine woolens:
    [​IMG]

What about wearing those in spring/summer?
    I will do so, but I want to know if that is considered entirely insane.

Nope, not insane at all, at least from my point of view.
    I love woolen ties, no matter what the season. It all depend on the weight/construction.
    Have ever tried an unlined sixfold in light wool? It's perfect for mid-warm days.

20. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

since y'all are discussing cappelli.. i picked these up last week when i was in naples.
    most were ordered last year october but i wasn't able to return until last week.
    all are wool except for the rightmost two.
    the leftmost one is a very fine lightweight wool houndstooth for summer.

[​IMG]