1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Soporific Tie Pr0n

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. apropos

apropos Senior member

Wools & cashmeres: [​IMG] Brioni > Doriani > Calabrese > Luciano Barbera [​IMG] Luciano Barbera > PRL ...and silks: [​IMG] Sam Hober > Zegna > E.G. Cappelli

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

What's the name of that Hober silk, apropos?

The light grey wool/cashmere one looks very nice. With what do you wear it?

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

That green Barbera is lovely.

4. apropos

apropos Senior member

What's the name of that Hober silk, apropos? The light grey wool/cashmere one looks very nice. With what do you wear it?
    Midnight blue silk garza fina. FWIW to me it's a true navy blue, unlike the SH navy blue, which looks like a lighter navy blue to me. And thanks - a blue shirt, and dark grey pants, sometimes dark olive or dark brown donegal pants.

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Midnight blue silk garza fina. FWIW to me it's a true navy blue, unlike the SH navy blue, which looks like a lighter navy blue to me.

Ah, good to see one in a pic. I'm having one made in dark brown.

And thanks - a blue shirt, and dark grey pants, sometimes dark olive pants.

Makes sense. And a navy jacket?

6. apropos

apropos Senior member

Ah, good to see one in a pic. I'm having one made in dark brown.
    Excellent. I expect the usual awesome NOBD photos when it arrives, because that one (or the black) is on my list. [​IMG]
    Makes sense. And a navy jacket?
    Yes.

7. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Excellent. I expect the usual awesome NOBD photos when it arrives, because that one (or the black) is on my list. [​IMG]

Thanks. You've seen these of the making:

NOBD,

Your tie is on its way and here are some photos of the construction process:

Here your Dark Chocolate Grenadine Garza Fina Tie has been folded, pinned and partially sewn:

[​IMG]

A better photo of the area where tipping usually is; note what I was trying to explain earlier - the wool interlining is perfectly fitted. Normally the interlining simply has a flat finish above the tipping area.

The wool is naturally a lighter color so we have hand dyed the wool at our workshop, actually outside in the garden.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the rolled edges and finished tie:

[​IMG]

Large closeup photos of Grenadine Garza Grossa & Fina weaves are here:

http://www.samhober.com/grenadinesilks/grenadine.htm

?

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

No, but now I have.

Just out of curiosity, any particular reason why you opted for untipped?

I usually go with self-lined tips for my grenadines - I worry about see-through on a grenadine.

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

No, but now I have.

Just out of curiosity, any particular reason why opted for untipped? I usually go with self-lined tips for my grenadines - I worry about see-through on a grenadine.

I don't really know... I wanted the rolled edges and asked if that was possible for this fabric. The only other choice I made was 3-fold/4-fold. I left the rest of the construction to David.

10. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

More.

How happy are you? It looks beautiful. WAYWRN pic in action is required. [​IMG]

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

No, but now I have.

Just out of curiosity, any particular reason why you opted for untipped?

I usually go with self-lined tips for my grenadines - I worry about see-through on a grenadine.

see through is nice on a grenadine

13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Cashmere unlined, self-tipped: [​IMG]

14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

^
    Nice tie, jrd.

How happy are you? It looks beautiful. WAYWRN pic in action is required. [​IMG]

Very happy. The colour is much deeper and more vivid than I expected, and it's beautifully made. I'll do a proper fit pic (with a different shirt) another time, but I had to try it on yesterday:

[​IMG]

15. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

16. apropos

apropos Senior member

see through is nice on a grenadine
    Actually, it just looks weird.

Very nice, NOBD.

17. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Cashmere unlined, self-tipped:

[​IMG]

I likey!

18. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Actually, it just looks weird.

Very nice, NOBD.

Thanks, apropos. It's definitely see-through, btw, but I don't think you'll see much of it when it's flat against your body, if you know what I mean.

19. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am glad that this thread is still more or less on track. You people have good taste, or most of you.

20. apropos

apropos Senior member

Thanks, apropos. It's definitely see-through, btw, but I don't think you'll see much of it when it's flat against your body, if you know what I mean.
    You are most welcome. I know exactly what you mean, and I apologise for (by replying to TD) appearing to be making a fuss about one of my idiosyncracies. The SH rolled tips are swell, and look to be better than those on my LBs. Much closer, much neater, and perhaps a little more subtle. One more thing - beware the snags! Grenadines are quite susceptible to this.