• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[SOON , A TITLE HERE ]

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Ah I study in Maastricht where this bookstore is. It's a bit disappointing in the flesh.. Somehow it always looks better in pictures than in real life, and the small bookstore down the block even has a better selection of books.:uhoh:

The cafe in the back makes great coffee though. :laugh:

i was hoping someone would berate it as such, in fact it would have been even better if you said the coffee sucked and was served in pretentious wine goblets to go along with the crucifix blood of christ design

chion : 1
rest of you : 0

will share more book-centric ones later

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stanford Kay. Another cool painter I know. He does a lot of semi-abstract paintings of bookcases (my avatar is one of his pieces). In real life they are very cool. Far more beautiful than most actual bookcases.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Houck - Aggregates (2011)

tumblr_lrsm2tOz4t1qze4qo.jpg

tumblr_lrsm32RJ9U1qze4qo.jpg

tumblr_lrsm391aJI1qze4qo.jpg

tumblr_lrsm3nHyxb1qze4qo.jpg

John Houck: The size of the photographs in “Aggregates” was determined by what could fit into a single frame of my camera. The process of making them starts with software that I wrote. I can specify how many rows and columns compose a grid and select any number of colors to fill it. For example, a grid with four rows, four columns, and two colors results in 65,535 combinations (hence the title of the photograph). I then use another piece of self-authored software to output the combinations as an index print on a single sheet of paper using an ink-jet printer. (No commercially available software can do this.) I then crease the paper, light it in a studio, and photograph it from above. I repeat this process three or four times: printing, creasing, and rephotographing. The final print is shown with one or two real creases, and the traces of earlier creases remain as photographic representations. I found that when the paper was too large, I had to take multiple photos, then stitch them all back together digitally; but at fifteen by eighteen inches a single frame would do.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
i dunno where else to post this!

i have a good friend who does extremely fine detail illustration work. pretty cool ****.

tumblr_lw4cs4tCnV1r4dbp1o1_1280.jpg

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
looks like something made by the Autist, that autistic guy with photographic memory

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ ha, yeah Stephen Wiltshire , I like the shifting perspectives in the ilustration above

Anyone else interested in Rem Koolhaas/OMA?

I like some of the individual houses, the Casa da Musica in Porto and I can appreciate all the theoretical side but I can't say I really connect with the bigger and more recent stuff.

And how about that weird collaboration with Prada, here's spring 2009 lookbook

i was hoping someone would berate it as such, in fact it would have been even better if you said the coffee sucked and was served in pretentious wine goblets to go along with the crucifix blood of christ design

chion : 1
rest of you : 0

will share more book-centric ones later

There's this huge art-decoish deconsecrated church downtown that was supposed to be turned into a swimming pool for a while, seems like the plans have been scrapped though

John Houck - Aggregates (2011)​

Did you get one in the end ?​

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herzog during the filming of Fitzcarraldo

“I shouldn’t make movies anymore, I should go to the lunatic asylum.”

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]​

In Fitzcarraldo, Klaus Kinski’s character attempts to move a riverboat across a mountain to accomplish his dream of becoming rich and building an opera house in a South American jungle. To assure the film’s authenticity, Herzog refused to use a plastic model boat (he believed the public would be able to tell the difference) and moved an actual 360-ton riverboat across a mountain.

Herzog admitted that he could have filmed his entire production a day or two outside Quito, the capital of Ecuador. Instead, he filmed in the rain forest, 500 miles from the nearest sizable city. He has spoken of the "voodoo of location," which caused him to shoot part of his "Nosferatu" in the same places where Murnau filmed his 1926 silent version. He felt the jungle location would "bring out special qualities in the actors and even the crew." This was more true than he could have suspected, and in the fourth year of his struggle to make the film, exhausted, he said, "I am running out of fantasy. I don't know what else can happen now. Even if I get that boat over the mountain, nobody on this earth will convince me to be happy about that, not until the end of my days."

The making of Fitzcarraldo resulted in a second film. Les Blank’s Burden of Dreams, which documented the disasters and setbacks Herzog encountered during the process. "Burden of Dreams" tells of arrows shot from the forest, of the boat slipping back down the hill, of the Brazilian engineer resigning and walking away after telling Herzog there was a 70 percent chance that the cables would snap and dozens of lives would be lost. On a commentary track, we learn more horrifying details; a crew member, bitten by a deadly snake, saved his own life by instantly cutting off his foot with the chain saw he was holding.

Fitzcarraldo is also the film in which Kinski allegedly attempted to kill Herzog … twice.

Rompson

Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

In C consists of 53 short, numbered musical phrases, lasting from half a beat to 32 beats; each phrase may be repeated an arbitrary number of times. Each musician has control over which phrase he or she plays: players are encouraged to play the phrases starting at different times, even if they are playing the same phrase. The performance directions state that the musical ensemble should try to stay within two to three phrases of each other. The phrases must be played in order, although some may be skipped. As detailed in some editions of the score, it is customary for one musician ("traditionally... a beautiful girl," Riley notes in the score) to play the note C in repeated eighth notes, typically on a piano or pitched-percussion instrument (e.g. marimba). This functions as a metronome and is referred to as "The Pulse".

In C has no set duration; performances can last as little as fifteen minutes or as long as several hours, although Riley indicates "performances normally average between 45 minutes and an hour and a half." The number of performers may also vary between any two performances.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Nigerian gele (pronounced gay-lay not gee-lay :fu:) or head wrap.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Excerpt from a film about indigo dyeing of fabric (adire) in the south-western region of Nigeria. I actually met with Nike Davies (who owns and runs the school in the video) a month or so ago about the fashion project I am prepping for next year. Lovely lady.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i have a good friend who does extremely fine detail illustration work. pretty cool ****.

I really like this. You say the artist is your friend? Does he/she do commissions?

miran

Reaction score

do you have a link to where this is from, or more info about this, please?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
extra long exposures overlooking the airport
2N1OG.jpg

9rGI6.jpg

J0Vfs.jpg

http://blog.gessato.com/2011/09/12/unique-long-exposure-pictures-by-terence-chang/

---------------------------

Iori Tomita’s New World Transparent Specimens

The project is called 新世界「透明標本」 – New World Transparent Specimens. The specimens are created using a preservation and dyeing technique usually only used for scientific purposes, such as examining the skeletal system and the underlying biological makeup.

Tomita uses an enzyme to dissolve the natural proteins in the flesh. He then injects red dyes into the harder bones and blue dyes into the softer cartilage, thus highlighting usually unseen internal structures. The dead creature is then preserved in a jar of glycerin.

“Originally, the method of making transparent specimens enzymatically turning the protein transparent, dyeing the bones magenta and dyeing the cartilages blue was established for scientific purposes to study the skeletal system. Taking this a step further to refine the form and coloration of the specimens requires time and experience. I create transparent specimens as pieces of work that help people feel closer to the wonders of life. People may look at my specimens as an academic material, a piece of art, or even an entrance to philosophy. There is no limitation to how you interpret their meaning. I hope you will find my work as a “lens” to project a new image, a new world that you’ve never seen before.”

hqgHm.jpg

p8OH2.jpg

NvyY0.jpg

pkyQX.jpg

http://gakuranman.com/iori-tomitas-new-world-transparent-specimens/

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
L House // Philippe Stuebi

Apartment in paris with an interior vertical garden by patrick blanc

Christian (SZ)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads