1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

[SOON , A TITLE HERE ]

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Dec 8, 2011.

1. snake

snake Senior member

How much of a downer. Le Diable Probablement, level?

Karagarga is great for this, though I've yet to really use it.

2. slstr

slstr Senior member

I'd like to suggest some french cinema, maybe some nouvelle vague (pierrot le fou, a bout de souffle etc.) or something more modern, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly comes to mind.

Also I don't know if documentary films are included in this, but I'd love to see everyone's reaction to Baraka.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

4. sipang

sipang Senior member

PM me your dropbox email

French films definitely (most of the recent French films I like are pretty talkative though, can be a bit of a pain in the ass to follow with subtitles), documentaries definitely.

5. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Senior member

I don't know how much I'll be able to contribute to any discussions, but I would love to join as well

Sending a PM now

6. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Just because Sipang mentioned Age of Innocence I wanted to mention A Room With a View, which also has Daniel Day Lewis. It's probably the funniest role he's ever been in and he's great in it.

7. jwjp

jwjp Senior member

This, basically. I won't be able to contribute much. However it'll be great to watch some films I would have never even heard of if not for this.

8. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

well - we should have a separate thread for movie group so as not to clutter this work of art (imho)

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Perhaps we should assign each person a mood, then that person will choose a movie to fill it, i.e. bitter, Neil LaButte, hopeful, Small Change, paranoid, The Conversation, etc. Then we put all suggestions into a digital hat, pick one, and rejoice.

Or this could be one method among many.

1 person likes this.
  10. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

My suggestion for how to run this would be to have a month or so (3~4 films) of films based on a certain theme, watching one each week. For example, 3-4 French films, then 3-4 documentaries, then Kubrick, then Chinese, etc. etc.

A few suggestions for places to start.

Documentaries:
    Abendland (though I can't find one with English subtitles)
    El Sicario, Room 164
    Fei Cheng/Ghost Town (dir. Zhao Dayong)
    Videograms of a Revolution
    Los Angeles Plays Itself

French language:
    A Whole Night
    Just Before Nightfall
    Paris Belongs to Us
    Thieves
    Irma Vep

Other:
    Nuts in May
    A Brighter Summer Day
    Chameleon Street
    The Great Dictator
    Opening Night

EDIT: I also endorse noob's idea. Everyone could proffer a suggestion, which would be assigned a number. We could then use a random number generator to "pick from the hat."

1 person likes this.
  11. the shah

the shah Senior member

In all honesty my first thought was that this would be more akin to someone streaming a movie from the computer and we'd all watch the live stream together from our respective terminals and chat about it lol :embar:

since talk about movies, thought this was interesting...

12. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

I watched it the other day and now I understand what you said about Jessica Chastain. I think she only has one expression... for everything.

1 person likes this.
  13. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

I want in too! Been really trying to expand my cinematic horizons a bit lately.

Don't have drop box tho, would be easier prolly for me to just stream it on something like movie2k.to

14. sipang

sipang Senior member

You need a dropbox account so that you can upload your pick when it's your turn. Just PM me an email address.

Ok, I think everyone so far has been added. Did I forget anyone ?

I think this might be a bit too ambitious for a start. What I had in mind for now was a pretty straightforward list thing where each participant takes turns uploading a movie/documentary of his choosing, we all watch said movie and then we can discuss it. That way everyone gets to contribute and it doesn't require lots of organizing. We can always fine tune the process down the road though. Thoughts ?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  15. snake

snake Senior member

Where would we discuss these thoughts.. Another thread or on drop box (if that's even possible)?

One thing (I think ivwri brought up earlier) is that some members might not be able to obtain copies of some films (when its their turn to up) depending on the restrictions of their country or uni. But I'm sure we can solve that problem fairly easily.

16. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I was hoping it would be in a thread called Shadow Community?

(PS If anyone has Peter Greenaway's The Falls to upload, that's my pick, but I lost my DVD :censored: )

17. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

That's fair. Your plan is probably more likely to be equitable.

Well, if someone has difficulty getting access to a film that they would like to have the group watch, one of us with access to Karagarga (or whatever) can always grab it and stick it on Dropbox for them.

18. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

can't wait to upload kung fu panda

3 people like this.
  19. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

FYI guys, a good chunk of the criterion collection is on Hulu. Could be a good resource.

20. the shah

the shah Senior member

two questions about this. first , what are the consequences for a film deemed unanimously (by all other than the uploader) to be utter trash ? there have to be consequences ... and second, will there be a spin-off ***Official Baller Movie Club*** where participants not only select the film but some remote/exotic/gaudy/luxurious location to meet and watch the film together in person while overindulging in astronomically priced eats ? if so, l may have transfer there (Fuuma is already in it) and my first location-suggestion is Miran's loft in downtown