• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[SOON , A TITLE HERE ]

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mom made it. (free marble sculptures is whats up) She went to parsons for sculpture. This one is about 36" tall and it took her about 4 months to carve using a pneumatic chisel. She's been sculpting for ~20 years.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, really awesome stuff.
thanks for the info smash :slayer:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

andrewsd

Reaction score

Cannes starts today. Some of the movies I'm most excited for:
Cosmopolis by David Cronenberg. Based on the Don Delillo novel. I love Cronenberg, and this is right in his wheelhouse (sports metaphor to mitigate dorkiness!)
Amour by Michael Haneke. Love him or hate him, Haneke always makes movies worth talking about. And he's back working with the always-awesome Isabelle Huppert in this one.
Killing Them Softly by Andrew Dominik. "The Assassination of Jesse James..." director's new movie about a mob enforcer.
Mekong Hotel by Apichatpong Weerasethakul. Pretty much guaranteed to be weird and awesome.
and of course a whole bunch of others (Lawless, On the Road, Rust & Bone, etc etc)
Full rundown: http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...val-2012-cheat-sheet-html,0,2178611.htmlstory

I loved Cosmopolis, really looking forward to Cronenberg's take on it

anxious as to how On The Road is going to turn out, strangely the two movies I'm anticipating most star the Twilight cast...

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Anyone on west coast caught a glimpse ?

Millions of sky-gazers got the spectacle of a lifetime as a "ring of fire" solar eclipse crossed the Pacific from Asia to the United States, where it triggered whoops at festive viewing parties.

The annular eclipse was visible in western US states from California to Texas late Sunday and in parts of China, Taiwan and Japan on Monday local time, making a 13,600-kilometre (8,500-mile) arc across the Pacific.

"It was awesome," said schoolboy Marcos Doporto in Albuquerque, New Mexico, one of the biggest US cities on the exact path of the full "ring of fire" eclipse, visible for four minutes at its peak.

"At first .. at the bottom it looked like someone ate it, but then after I waited a little while it started to get closer to looking kinda like (a) ring," he told KOB Eyewitness News 4 television.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, though it was a bit too cloudy yesterday to see it very clearly. Cool sight still nonetheless.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that the ****** retitling of Cogans's Trade ? New PTA
Yes, yes it is: Variety writer Jeff Sneider has tweeted that Andrew Dominik's "Cogan's Trade" has been given a new, much more generic title of "Killing Them Softly." We suppose The Weinstein Company thinks that "killing" is a much sexier marquee word than "trade"... http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...ing-brad-pitt-now-titled-killing-them-softly# I used to dislike Paul Thomas Anderson. Now I can't wait to see his new movie. 0:37 in that trailer has to be a direct reference to Beau Travail.

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sucks for the film's visibility, I'd take Clint Eastwood-sounding title over straight to dvd sounding title but ...

Dominik did explain that the movie's name change, from Cogan's Trade, was to help out Pitt. The movie always going to be Killing Them Softly he insists, which is how Pitt's character describes his low-key killing method.

But Dominik says he didn't want that key "softly" line to have too much emphasis in the dialogue.

"There's a danger that the actor might make a meal out of the line," says Dominik.

So for a long time the movie was referred to as Cogan's Trade.

"Brad's character calls what he does 'killing them softly' --- with a minimum of fuss," says Dominik. "It sounded like a movie title to me. Cogan's Trade kind of sounds like a Clint Eastwood title to me from 1972."

Pretty sure I haven't seen Beau Travail

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither title is great. Or even good. Not sure how the Weinstein company let that go. Beau Travail is Claire Denis's take on Herman Melville's story Billy Budd. Needless to say, it is nothing like Billy Budd.

Useless fact: the only movie I've ever fallen alseep in the theater during was Claire Denis's The Intruder.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you really must watch beau travail if you haven't seen it.
the final sequence in particular is one of the most incredible things i've ever seen on film.

JuyLe

Reaction score
Sure is a must watch. As well as the rest of Claire Denis' movies. Denis Lavant's performance is amazing. My best friend who's really into cinema saw him in the parisian Metro and said he was wearing prisoner pants, dress shoes, a pinstripe suit and a pink hat and gave people a weird look. He didn't want to bother him. Should have maybe.

cy twombly

I saw the Monet-Twombly-Turner exhibition and they had, along with perfect lighting, the 4 seasons paintings from him. Damn that would make a nice birthday present for the gf.

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok time to start DLing then. Lavant strikes me as the kind of guy who would wear Yohji. or Damir Doma

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads